Map of observation sites - Scotland

Julian Mayes

Jun 24, 2020, 9:43:18 AM6/24/20
to Weather and Climate

Or...now I know where Elphin is......

Following the SW England map I posted a few days ago, here are the locations of the sites in Scotland referred to in Colin's extremes lists, concentrating on the more obscure climatological sites. No prizes for knowing where Leuchars is (the one beside it is Dundee Riverside); Inverness Airport also seemed too obvious to show (the 17.0C to save you asking). The numbers are immaterial again but show the 12h temp a few days ago. For sites not reporting that observation, there is no rectangle - hence the arrowed locations of Quidinish and Strathallan. Stornoway and Oban are marked on the map so they seemed obvious (Oban another one not working that day). The 8.7C just east of Tyndrum is Glen Ogle at 564m.

As before, location is given by the top-left corner of each rectangle.

Don't worry Ken, I'll do another map for NE England  :)

Heated cheers     Julian

Ken Cook

Jun 24, 2020, 10:16:08 AM6/24/20
to Weather and Climate
Thanks, Julian,
I wondered when you'd get to the important bit!
On a serious note, there will still be several MetO climate sites such as Copley that report to the MetO but are not mentioned until the month's end, and even then only if they are the most extreme each day. I know Colin and yourself get mine of my website, but many are never seen.
What a pity the MetO don't publish them all.
Ken
Copley
Nr Barnard Castle
Teesdale

Graham Easterling

Jun 24, 2020, 11:32:21 AM6/24/20
to Weather and Climate
Is there anybody who has access to them all who could put them on a website?

Graham
Penzance - 3rd hottest June day on record at my site (since 1991) Report later.

Julian Mayes

Jun 24, 2020, 2:32:00 PM6/24/20
to Weather and Climate
Hi Ken, + Graham.

This failure to publish has annoyed me for about 25 years! We have to be clear though - are we referring to daily or monthly data?

Daily - do some climat stations still only report to MO at the end of the month?  I think this delayed the reporting of the Faversham max temp in 2003 but maybe they all report electronically at 09h. The Aussie BoM website is an example here.

Monthly data - this is the important one IMO as we really know nothing, as you say, of the non-automated climat sites, such as yours and many others. The MO should publish this data - it should be in the public realm. After the MWR ceased in 1993, they published annual datasheets for the next 3 years didn't they (I guess you received them, Ken)  and these are in the MO archive section of their website - this was basically the main table of the MWR.  https://digital.nmla.metoffice.gov.uk/SO_257ec2c7-3c7a-4c0f-8fcc-00aafc3c57c4/

Met Eirrean publish their monthly reports as 'weather statements' now https://www.met.ie/climate/past-weather-statements   but there's a lot of other useful data in their climate section. It is also very easy to navigate.

They should publish this data monthly and annually - preferably backdating to 1996 (we can only wish).   I say something along these lines in a future issue of Weather, though you'd have to look very closely to see it. Why don't we involve the History Group and Met Observing Systems Group of the RMetS?   Maybe a Viewpoint article in Weather?

Julian