Flash, bang wallop

xmetman

May 27, 2018, 4:51:47 AM5/27/18
to Weather and Climate

Here are the overnight rainfall estimates for last night. The thunderstorms weren't hanging around, so in most areas it was more flash bang than wallop.

xmetman

May 27, 2018, 4:59:18 AM5/27/18
to Weather and Climate

xmetman

May 27, 2018, 5:05:46 AM5/27/18
to Weather and Climate

xmetman

May 27, 2018, 5:08:18 AM5/27/18
to weathera...@googlegroups.com
Interesting line of thunderstorms just developing south of Bristol at the moment and moving WNW.

Jack Harrison

May 27, 2018, 7:12:48 AM5/27/18
to Weather and Climate
Many you could add (57.5N 3.8W) my overnight downpour of 0.2 mms:-)

Jack

Julian Mayes

May 27, 2018, 7:40:18 AM5/27/18
to Weather and Climate
Although rainfall totals were not that high, London was treated to about 2 hours of the most frequent lightning I can remember. I assume mostly CC but it was fairly low in the northeast from here. The strobing effect on the cloud was impressive. Judging by reports on other sites, I think some local areas of intense rainfall did occur right under the track. And most of was from a home grown storm that brewed over Sevenoaks and moved NW. Probably part of the arc of storms that spread north from the French MCS though.

Julian. Molesey. 9mm.

Tudor Hughes

May 27, 2018, 12:28:54 PM5/27/18
to Weather and Climate

On Sunday, 27 May 2018 12:40:18 UTC+1, Julian Mayes wrote:
Although rainfall totals were not that high, London was treated to about 2 hours of the most frequent lightning I can remember. I assume mostly CC but it was fairly low in the northeast from here. The strobing effect on the cloud was impressive. Judging by reports on other sites, I think some local areas of intense rainfall did occur right under the track. And most of was from a home grown storm that brewed over Sevenoaks and moved NW. Probably part of the arc of storms that spread north from the French MCS though.

Julian.  Molesey.     9mm.

    That is precisely the impression I got.  Nearly all c-c and almost continuous.  Continuous thunder but not loud.  A couple of heavy bursts of rain, total 9.2 mm.  Not quite up to the standard of 12/13 June 1964 but not bad.

Tudor Hughes, Warlingham, NE Surrey, 557 ft, 170 m.

Len W

May 27, 2018, 3:19:00 PM5/27/18
to Weather and Climate
Sounds similar to the continuous lightning show we had last year here, 27th May 2017. Almost the same date.

Last night we just had a couple of flash bangs (as Bruce mentions) at 21:00 and 01:00. Mostly cloud to cloud lightning again.
Rain total 2.2 mm.

Len
Wembury, SW Devon

Smartie

Jun 9, 2018, 6:30:12 AM6/9/18
to Weather and Climate
Added some comments on the overnight thunderstorms here-
and the severe  thunderstorms in the Midlands on the 27th here-
David