Very High UV

Len W

Jun 3, 2021, 6:19:33 PM6/3/21
to Weather and Climate
Forecast for tomorrow.
VH UV and 15C.
We shall see.
VH UV.png
Len
Wembury

Freddie

Jun 4, 2021, 2:07:39 AM6/4/21
to Weather and Climate
Looks possible.  Tropopause lifting with upper ridging, clean and dry air in the troposphere but with a bit of moisture at low levels.  I admit the temperature looks too low, but that doesn't affect the UV level.
It'll be interesting to verify.

--
Freddie
Alcaston

Graham Easterling

Jun 4, 2021, 3:53:00 AM6/4/21
to Weather and Climate
Normally, by now, there would have been a couple of '9's at Camborne, virtually always associated with some sea mist conditions, but there's been a lack of the warm sector humid ridges required. Very low UV year so far.

The only real '8' was on Monday, Tuesday saw a spike well into 8, & may have been higher if there not been a fairly persistent cloud cover.

Yesterday's dry air behind the front saw a fall in the UV at Camborne compared with recent days, the lowest since 30th May, which I would have expected. (Deep blue skies so the forecast went up from 7 to 8).

I think, from my non technical viewpoint, the air's still too much of a returning polar maritime for it to go up much. As Freddie says, certain aspects are favourable, but low level moisture is far too low, the aspect that the forecasts seem to ignore.. May creep towards 8 but that's just normal. Under ideal conditions Camborne & Scilly have recorded 10 during June.

If Nick G's reading this, it would be interested to get some UV reports.

If I'm wrong & it hits a 9, I'll take it all back! It will also cause me a bit of confusion.

Graham
Penzance

Freddie

Jun 4, 2021, 5:34:41 AM6/4/21
to Weather and Climate

In hindsight, upper ridging is negligible and doesn't really occur until the evening.  Trop not really that high.  So I'll take it back now :)

Len W

Jun 4, 2021, 3:24:51 PM6/4/21
to Weather and Climate
Verification herewith for 4th June:

Wembury
Forecast 15C,  Actual 17C at nearby Mt Batten, 19C in the screen in my garden.

UV forecast VH, which is UVI of 8, 9, or 10 according to Met Office.
Camborne reading just got to UVI of 8 so forecast is correct

Len

Nick Gardner

Jun 5, 2021, 9:09:43 AM6/5/21
to Weather and Climate
My UV readings
4th 7.0
5th 8.7

Yesterday was one of the lowest this month so far.

Graham Easterling

Jun 5, 2021, 10:32:10 AM6/5/21
to Weather and Climate
Yes, we now finally have some potentially very high UV conditions for the 1st time this year, shame the cloud's so thick here today.

Camborne's highest  peak this year was during the afternoon mistiness of 2nd, when the higher level cloud briefly broke (8.6), 2nd highest was on 1st.

I think there's the potential for 9 over the next few days, as long as the cloud breaks near the middle of the day and some mistiness remains. Shame no UV reports from Scilly anymore.

Nice wave at the moment, and set to continue. Sennen bids on Monday, now the riff raff have gone & you can park!

Graham
Penzance