Fiery Wolfgang

xmetman

Jul 29, 2019, 9:11:16 AM7/29/19
to Weather and Climate
Low 'Wolfgang' of the SW approaches at 12 UTC today looks a bit fiery at 987 hPa, but that's more to do with my summer default contour interval of one.
Still none the less it looks quite impressive as it rolls in.
As always forgive the contouring.

2019-07-29_140424.jpg

Len

Jul 29, 2019, 9:57:47 AM7/29/19
to Weather and Climate
Centre pressure 989.7 hPa Bruce?

Len
Wembury

xmetman

Jul 29, 2019, 10:17:16 AM7/29/19
to Weather and Climate
I was using the 10 UTC pressure as it passed by just to the west of the Brittany buoy (62163) Len.

2019-07-29_151254.jpg

xmetman

Jul 29, 2019, 10:23:30 AM7/29/19
to Weather and Climate
Looks impressive from space.

2019-07-29_152155.jpg

Julian Mayes

Jul 29, 2019, 12:34:58 PM7/29/19
to Weather and Climate
Now we can see very clearly where the MO got their spirals from in their forecast chart a few days ago.  All we need is an eye and we'd be thinking there's a medicane approaching Cornwall.

Julian

Freddie

Jul 29, 2019, 12:42:48 PM7/29/19
to Weather and Climate
On Monday, 29 July 2019 17:34:58 UTC+1, Julian Mayes wrote:
Now we can see very clearly where the MO got their spirals from in their forecast chart a few days ago.  All we need is an eye and we'd be thinking there's a medicane approaching Cornwall.

Or we could give it our own name - how about Celticane?  Or Swappicane? (SWAPPS - common contraction of South-west approaches).

--
Freddie
Dorrington

Julian Mayes

Jul 29, 2019, 3:10:18 PM7/29/19
to Weather and Climate
The followers of Mr W Rees-Mogg Esq. will listen in to the weather forecast in order to hear the temperatures in Fahrenheit from now on and actually this evening would  hear......

'Good evening folks and we have a really impressive swappicane about to crash into the South West this evening. A mild night though with temperatures falling no lower than about 60 degrees Fahrenheit in places....'

They'll be fuming.

Julian

Graham Easterling

Jul 29, 2019, 3:19:09 PM7/29/19
to Weather and Climate
From Lands End 20:00.

2019-07-29 20_13_38-Free Screencapture.png

Notice the intensity of recent showers, no thunder yet.

I think the strongest winds will be behind the low, by which time a large swell is forecast. North coast beaches likely to be Red Flagged, I think for the 1st time this summer.

Still, all gone by Wednesday.

Graham
Penzance

Len

Jul 29, 2019, 5:48:09 PM7/29/19
to Weather and Climate
Poor old theatre goers at Minack tonight.
Soaked as rats.
Performance abandoned after 25 mins.

Len
In a drier SW Devon

Len

Jul 30, 2019, 3:53:34 AM7/30/19
to Weather and Climate
Why Wolfgang?
Surely after Hannah it was time for Idris or Jane?
Obviously no impacts expected.
You try telling that to the Minack outdoor theatre in Cornwall.

On the subject of naming storms the UKMO is joining the Dutch KNMI as well as the Irish next season.

'This year the Met Office and Met Eireann will be joined by KNMI, the Dutch national weather forecasting service and together they will announce the new list of storm names for the 2019/2020 season in early September.  An equivalent naming scheme for southwest Europe has been operating since 2017, which includes France, Spain and Portugal.  The two schemes are designed to work closely together, with each group adopting the other group’s storm name.'

Working closely together with our EU neighbours?
This surely is not in the spirit of Brexit?

LOL

Len
Wembury

xmetman

Jul 30, 2019, 4:54:56 AM7/30/19
to Weather and Climate
Its the Berlin Institute of Meteorology that names every vortex be it high or low, a system that has been around for many years. It's how the Met Office used to label highs and lows on their charts until recent years.

If they went back to a system like this you could then cut out all this name a storm nonsense which seems to get more desperate with each passing year.

It won't be long before Iceland and Nova Scotia start doing it and we'll be left with just the cyclogenetic ones out of mid Atlantic...

xmetman

Jul 30, 2019, 6:04:12 AM7/30/19
to Weather and Climate

Today's not a day to be out on the beach in Jersey

2019-07-30_110131.jpg

Graham Easterling

Jul 30, 2019, 6:40:18 AM7/30/19
to Weather and Climate

xmetman

Jul 30, 2019, 6:44:09 AM7/30/19
to Weather and Climate
Have you been scribbling in the sand again Graham?

Graham Easterling

Jul 30, 2019, 6:56:29 AM7/30/19
to Weather and Climate
No, but I support the general message!

Actually, i'ts the amount of plastics washed up on virtually every tide that shocks me. Totally different to back in the '60s & 70s when the issue was oil / tar on the beaches, mainly down to tankers washing out their tanks on the way from Milford Haven. The Torrey Canyon disaster was the catalyst to getting that stopped.

Sennen after the Torrey Canyon

1965 TorreyCanyon (2).jpg

Spraying the beach just liquidised the beach, and killed just about all marine life for miles, no seaweed, no life in the rockpils, massive piles of dead birds. I was at the top of the cliff, and the stench from the oil was unbelievable.

Graham
Penzance

Graham Easterling

Jul 30, 2019, 3:00:00 PM7/30/19
to Weather and Climate
On average only 2-3 performance are cancelled at the Minack each year, it has to be really bad.

Much better, if not ideal, tonight https://www.minack.com/a-living-theatre/webcams/

Not the only open air theatre in the far SW

<1mm of rain since 09:00, The event fitted in almost perfectly with my 09:00-09:00 recording period.

Graham
Penzance

Dave C

Jul 30, 2019, 6:03:09 PM7/30/19
to Weather and Climate
If it's blustery why not "Boris" ?

Tudor Hughes

Jul 31, 2019, 12:17:44 PM7/31/19
to Weather and Climate
Why Wolfgang?  Why indeed.  Leave Mozart out of it.  Who needs Eine Kleine Tiefmusik?

Tudor Hughes

xmetman

Aug 1, 2019, 11:46:38 AM8/1/19
to Weather and Climate
Most of the rainfall in the last week was down to the circulation around Wolfgang.
No stations in the Leyburn area.

2019-08-01_164325.jpg

Smartie

Aug 3, 2019, 3:43:03 AM8/3/19
to Weather and Climate
A testament to the quasi-conservative properties of latent heating Wolfgang's low-level core remains identifiable over south-western Germany this morning.

eur_f6.png

eview_germany_0306.png