High temps discussion Sat 8th August

Julian Mayes

Aug 8, 2020, 6:30:57 AM8/8/20
to Weather and Climate
Morning all.

Pleased to report a pause in the heating around London / Surrey with 7/8 Ac / As and maybe even Sc beneath it.   Previously sunny spells. Cloud now breaking again more.

Temps 1100 BST around 25-26C.  Highest to our south-east      Herst'c'x 30.8C, Frittenden (Kent)   30.6C, Manston and Goudhurst also above 30C. These are warmer than same time y'day.

Gentle NE surface flow should restrain the extreme heat to the South East rather than East Anglia from now on.    Can feel it now wafting in through the open window and very pleasant it is too - maybe a bit more attention should be given to the cooling effect of a breeze - or the lack of it last night in failing to cool houses and flats down!    There was one outstanding high min last night - up at Wych Cross on the top of the Ashdown Forest at 200m.    22.1C.    Warmer parts of London stayed just above 20C, as expected - a 'tropical' night'.

Julian

Colin Youngs

Aug 8, 2020, 6:41:33 AM8/8/20
to Weather and Climate
32.5°C in Brussels at midday local time (11.00 BST) - 2 hours earlier than when a similar temperature was reached yesterday.

Colin Youngs
Brussels

Richard Griffith FRMetS

Aug 8, 2020, 7:17:04 AM8/8/20
to Weather and Climate
My maximum for yesterday was 34.6°C and an extremely low relative humidity of 18.1%. Very warm and humid overnight, minimum 17.0°C. Cloudier this morning but feeling more humid. Current temperature just reached 30°C (Was around 33°C same time yesterday) with relative humidity currently at 42%. Wind is light northerly.

Regards

Richard Griffith
Horsham AWS
West Sussex

Brian Wakem

Aug 8, 2020, 8:45:49 AM8/8/20
to Weather and Climate
Mostly cloudy here but some intermittent sun over the last hour has pushed the temp up to 30.0C now, with a dew point of 19.4C.

--
Brian Wakem
Lower Bourne, Farnham, Surrey

Nick Gardner

Aug 8, 2020, 10:16:24 AM8/8/20
to Weather and Climate
A maximum so far of 30.1C and a dew point high of 23.0C smashes my previous set just 1 week ago. Reminds me of Med heat and humidity. Nice.

Dick Lovett

Aug 8, 2020, 10:53:10 AM8/8/20
to Weather and Climate
Nick, I reckon your reported dew point of 23C is seriously in error. In the UK, even dew points of 20C are rare, and I can't believe they have ever reached 23C.
Met Office stations nearby to your location have recently reported the following dew points,(rounded to nearest degree):

Yeovilton, Portland & Plymouth, 19C

Exeter, Dunkeswell and Bournemouth, 18C

Dick Lovett

Nick Gardner

Aug 8, 2020, 12:40:09 PM8/8/20
to Weather and Climate
Dry 29.0C, wet 24. 7C. Exeter a very different type of location to here. I can testify to the high humidity today. Dunkeswell is on top of a great big hill! As for the others.....

Nick Gardner

Aug 8, 2020, 12:57:41 PM8/8/20
to Weather and Climate
Sam who lives just up t'valley, in a slightly more exposed location recorded a maximum of 29.8C and a dew point high of 22.0C. Everyone who lives round 'ere knows it's a muggy ol' place in the Otter Valley.

Dick Lovett

Aug 8, 2020, 1:01:12 PM8/8/20
to Weather and Climate
The point is I gave a list of 6 well separated locations, all different in their way, and yet their dew points didn't differ by more than a degree. The dew point temperature is a relatively conservative property that enables it to be very useful in forecasting air masses, so there is no reason for your dew point to be significantly different. If you are using a wet bulb thermometer how often do you change the wick? In a near coastal location like yours, salt contamination is always a problem and will cause the reading to be too high. I'm only pointing all this out to you so you investigate if you wish.

Dick

Nick Gardner

Aug 8, 2020, 1:03:47 PM8/8/20
to Weather and Climate
And William who lives in an exposed location just out of the Otter Valley on a hill recorded a maximum of 28.7C and a dew point high of 21.6C.

Dave C

Aug 8, 2020, 1:39:18 PM8/8/20
to Weather and Climate
20.5C overnight minimum. Glad of our split system air con in the bedroom. Low 30's again today after more cloud and a spot or two of drizzle early morning.

Nick Gardner

Aug 8, 2020, 1:40:18 PM8/8/20
to Weather and Climate
I've collated a few more dew point highs for today from around Devon:

Rockbeare, nr Exeter: 19.7°C
Willand near Cullompton: 22.3°C
Combe Raleigh (Blackdown Hills): 20.5°C
Bridford, Dartmoor: 20.6°C
Postbridge, Dartmoor: 19.6°C
Payhembury (middle reach Otter Valley), 21.9°C.

The lower reading stations are generally higher in altitude. My station is at 20 m, the lowest of them all with the next lowest being Willand and Payhembury then Rockbeare. I have a nice, clean wick and my VP2+ gives a very similar dew point reading.

 --
Nick Gardner
Otter Valley, Devon

Tudor Hughes

Aug 8, 2020, 1:46:53 PM8/8/20
to Weather and Climate
Max here 33.8°C despite the continuous presence of high and medium cloud..  Cloud now (6.44 pm BST) 7 oktas at various levels, none of it low.  Wind NE force 2.  Minimum last night 18.8°C.

Tudor Hughes, Warlingham, NE Surrey, 557 ft, 170 m

Brian Wakem

Aug 8, 2020, 3:10:22 PM8/8/20
to Weather and Climate
Max of 31.6C and a max DP of 20.3C.

Still 27.4C now at 20:10, which is ridiculous in the countryside.

--
Brian Wakem
Lower Bourne, Farnham, Surrey
Live obs @ 20:09:59 : 27.4C, DP 19.2C, RH 61%, 0.0 mm

Len

Aug 8, 2020, 5:56:21 PM8/8/20
to Weather and Climate
High here of 27.1°C, that is higher than yesterdays 25.1°C.
Thankfully a breeze from the NW, otherwise it would have been unbearable.

For the record, 18.4°C at 1600 hrs was highest dew point today in Plymouth.

Len
Wembury