Euphemisms

xmetman

Jul 1, 2016, 4:50:11 AM7/1/16
to weathera...@googlegroups.com
I know that I'm a bit of a moaner especially when it comes to TV weather presenters, and I know it can't be an easy job - a bit like an airline pilot - it looks a lot better that it actually is. But they do have away about them as they deliver the forecastand, and I know that we can't all be the same but...

"a lot of cloud today" whats wrong with "cloudy" or the classic "rather cloudy" which gives you a little more latitude. Something in the same vein (or should that be vane when we are talking about the weather) "there's going to be a lot of clear skies tonight" - this is a bit of a David Braine favourite - why not just "clear" or  "clear spells" or "clear intervals" or anything else. They all take up less words and we know exactly how clear its likely to be.

I could go on, but at least now I feel that I've told someone and shared my own pettiness, almost as if I've been to confession, is that what forums are for to get things of our chest to just let something out to audience you may have never met?

Anyway on a less philosophical note we now have 12 subscribers now and who knows how many people looking in from other groups who shall remain anonymous, and so far not a mention of something starting with b and ending in exit!

Phil Officer

Jul 2, 2016, 7:21:13 PM7/2/16
to Weather and Climate
I feel the TV forecasts graphics should up the game and show a more dynamic atmosphere.

Already available online from Windyt
https://www.windyty.com/?50.371,-4.143,6

I am sure these sorts of moving graphics would better attract the attention of Jo Public.

Perhaps the new provider (anyone any info who this might be?) of forecasts for the BBC could oblige.

xmetman

Jul 3, 2016, 5:15:37 AM7/3/16
to Weather and Climate
It's gone very quite about that, I think the decision may well be reversed. I have noticed the Met Office have improved the graphics system that they use for their media output. The colour filled contouring of NWP temperatures they do is a big improvement on the system the BBC use. My guess is the only thing thay might change will be the graphics system and not necessarily the provider.

Martin Rowley

Jul 3, 2016, 5:31:43 AM7/3/16
to Weather and Climate
... I have heard that it'll be well into 2017 before any new provider comes forward; I suspect that it's been found that taking over the contract isn't quite as easy as it looks!

Martin.

xmetman

Aug 24, 2016, 1:13:17 PM8/24/16
to Weather and Climate
I always thought it was a "crack of lightning" and not a "crack of thunder" as I just heard on the 1758 PM BBC weather forecast?

Well not according to Alex Deakin, but I think this one didn't originate with him, but was dreamed up a while ago by John Kettley, he of "from the word go" fame.

It's a bit like having a flash of thunder or a rumble of lightning.

In my book it will always be a "rumble" rather than a "crack of thunder".

Paul Garvey

Aug 24, 2016, 3:53:43 PM8/24/16
to Weather and Climate
It's fine to be a curmudgeon about the weather forecasters Bruce. I think they are generally pretty good and do a difficult job in a very short amount of time - especially David Braine!

PS Shhhhh. You just made the first mention of it! 😂😂😂

John Hall

Aug 24, 2016, 4:25:34 PM8/24/16
to Weather and Climate
It's always been "a crack of thunder" for me. If lightning strikes very close, then the sound of the thunder is very much a crack like the crack of a whip. "A crack of lightning" doesn't seem to make sense to me.

xmetman

Aug 24, 2016, 5:03:27 PM8/24/16
to Weather and Climate
John

You're exactly right. In my enthusiasm to tell the world (as well as having a go at my nemesis), I turned my argument on its head - he did say crack of lightning and not thunder!

I also agree with Paul, they do have an awful job not knowing when they're on and for how long, but then again its what they choose to do, and after all its not coal mining.

Bruce.

Tudor Hughes

Aug 24, 2016, 9:27:34 PM8/24/16
to Weather and Climate
   Almost exactly a year ago I posted this in Another Place but it rapidly descended into a brawl.  Much heat, very little light.  Let's have another go in a more civilised environment.  It represents my own view quite well.

                                                     https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/18/weather-forecast-british-warning-cold

Tudor Hughes

xmetman

Aug 25, 2016, 3:40:33 AM8/25/16
to Weather and Climate
That article by Martin Kettle is spot on. I'm moaning about the words and phrases but he gets to the nub of the whole thing - just give us the forecast and trust us to be able to apply the common sense to it. Having said that despite all the warnings last weekend of stormy seas that common sense wasn't used by all but that was their choice, the sea though is a dangerous place even when the weather is seemingly at its best.