Orange warm fronts

Len W

Jun 29, 2017, 4:37:47 AM6/29/17
to Weather and Climate
Do my eyes deceive me?
UKMO seems to have turned the colour of warm fronts from red to orange on their anaylsis charts.

I am not sure how significant this is.
Could be something to do with pollution.

Len
Wembury

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

xmetman

Jun 29, 2017, 6:42:39 AM6/29/17
to Weather and Climate
Len

I think it's your eyes!

I would say the colour of the warm front is quite close to poppy red.

The free app ColorPic that I use says it R=254, G=50, B=0.

What bugs me is that they lay the fronts on top of the isobars, which means there is never any degree of troughing of the isobars when they meet cross a front or trough.

Bruce.

Jack Harrison

Jun 29, 2017, 7:00:08 AM6/29/17
to Weather and Climate
Beaten to it.  I too was about to post R=254, G=50, B=0.   Older charts seem to be more or less the same colour.

It's probably not so much to do with your eyes Len as you computer screen settings (but don't ask me how to change those!)

But I do suggest that a new symbol would be appropriate - unseasonably cold feel.  Here it's currently 10.0C with persistent heavy drizzle and cutting wind.  I have the central heating on.  June I believe!

Jack

xmetman

Jun 29, 2017, 8:37:38 AM6/29/17
to Weather and Climate
I find it amazing how the BBC presenters; one of them I can hear droning on at the moment in the other room; choose to ignore just how cold it actually is for June in large parts of the country at the moment.

If it was extreme warmth, we would never hear the end of just how hot it was in one place or the other, but cold nah, just pretend it's not happening.

Len W

Jun 29, 2017, 9:43:06 AM6/29/17
to Weather and Climate
The funny thing is, using my Toshiba Sat laptop, on the chart the warm fronts are decidedly orange.
If I then go to 'Key to symbols' and scroll down, the warm fronts are red.

Having a look at the charts on my tablet, they are definitely red.

I have gone even further and asked my wife what colour she sees the warm fronts as.
Without me saying anything she says orange.

All very mysterious.

Len