Global temperatures continue to fall back

xmetman

Jun 3, 2018, 7:12:59 AM6/3/18
to weathera...@googlegroups.com
The latest April CRUTEM global land and sea temperatures have just been released, and continue to show a fall in the 12 month moving average, which have now slipped back to below the 1°C increase since pre-industrial levels of 1850.

It's not really surprising that global temperatures have been falling back for the last 20 months, as they just couldn't keep up the rapid rises we saw in the second half of 2015 and the first half of 2016.

Depending on how you look at it, April 2018 was the seventh warmest since 1850, or the coldest since 2013 take your pick.

The Met Office are obviously looking for a very quick turn around if annual global average temperature are to reach 1.5 °C above pre-industrial levels during the next five years (2018-2022) as they predict might happen.

I suppose if we do see another blip in warming like that between 2012 and 2016 it could just about happen in an individual month, but 1.5°C over 12 months would be much harder to achieve.

I suppose the question is just how exceptional where those years, because putting on over 0.5°C is a lot of warming by the end of 2022.