Storm damage from Kathleen at Wembury

Len

Apr 7, 2024, 10:08:22 AMApr 7
to Weather and Climate
Large waves and southerly gales cause this
IMG_1164.jpegIMG_1162.JPG

jack.h...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2024, 11:12:03 AMApr 7
to Weather and Climate
 Kathleen and Spring Tides.  The combination led to exceptionally high water level in Burghead harbour.
2024-04-07-021-Burghead.jpg

2024-04-07-096-Burghead.jpg
Jack

Graham Easterling

Apr 7, 2024, 12:22:06 PMApr 7
to Weather and Climate

jack.h...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2024, 12:42:34 PMApr 7
to Weather and Climate
 I have to wonder why cars were parked so close to the sea.

However, I witnessed similar in Burghead harbour.  The ground slopes up slightly from the water's edge, and I stayed on the higher ground.  But I saw people driving through the water that was splashing over.  My very long lens meant that I didn't need to get very close.

2024-04-07-137-Burghead.jpg

Jack

Graham Easterling

Apr 8, 2024, 4:11:17 AMApr 8
to Weather and Climate
Is that house occupied Len? I rather hope not. That storm occurred well before the spring tides (which are almost here), so it could have been worse.

With the persistent large seas, travel to Scilly has been heavily disrupted throughout the Easter period.. No Scillonian or freight ship to Scilly last Friday, yesterday, today, certainly not tomorrow. Flights heavily disrupted. Many Easter visitors stuck with little hope of getting back until Tuesday, even then it'll. be uncomfortable on the ship. Even the foods running low now (plenty of beer apparently). It's been sea conditions, not wind, that have had the biggest impact in Cornwall of late, though tonight could be interesting.

According to the current warning.
  • Some delays to road, rail, air and ferry transport are possible

More of an absolute certainty!

Still, hope on the horizon!"

Graham
Penzance

Len

Apr 8, 2024, 10:01:23 AMApr 8
to Weather and Climate
The 'house' you are talking about is the Old Mill Cafe which has a NT holiday let attached to it.
They have to frequently strengthen the foundations.
The building on the left houses the public conveniences.
On a Spring tide with big waves, as you see there is plenty of amunition in terms of boulders and huge trunks of drift wood
to batter the relative soft cliffs at this location.

I live at 83 m above sea level so no worries for my property. LOL

Len