Otter Valley, Devon - September 2023

Nick Gardner

Oct 1, 2023, 10:26:55 AM10/1/23
to Weather and Climate

Summary for September 2023

Overall warm and wet with slightly below average sunshine. Very warm, dry and sunny first half then cooler, wetter and cloudier. Highest September temperature recorded on the 9th with 29.3°C beating the previous September record of 28.2°C on the 7th September 2021. Despite the plethora of warm days from the 2nd to the 10th, it was the warmth of the nights rather than the days that have made this September the warmest in my record going back to 2005 with a mean temperature of 17.4°C. This beats that remarkably warm, dry, sunny and superior September of 2014 whose mean temperature was 16.7°C. Highest offshore sea surface temperature in my record for Lyme Bay of 22.3°C on the 9th beating the previous high of 22.1°C set on the 19th June 2017.

Mean Max: 22.4ºC

Mean Min: 12.4ºC

Mean: 17.4ºC

High Max: 29.3ºC 9th

Low Max: 17.7ºC 20th

High Min: 17.1ºC 7th

Low Min: 4.5ºC 23rd

Rain Total: 89.5 mm (150%)

Rain Days >0.2 mm: 14 Days

Rain Days >1.0 mm: 11 Days

Max 24 hrs: 37.2 mm 17th

Days without any rain: 16

Thunder Heard: 3 Days

Total Monthly Sunshine: 168.5 Hours (92%)