"It's a beautiful summers day out there..."

xmetman

Jun 22, 2019, 10:14:01 AM6/22/19
to Weather and Climate
"It's a beautiful summers day out there across much of the country" so says Sarah Keith Lucas - no it's not here!

I've got news for Sarah, It may have been a lovely day first thing this morning, but it's raining again now!

I've found so often since moving to this part of Scotland that Ross-shire very rarely constitutes as much of the country!

I love this get-out-clause so loved by all TV weather presenters - "much of the country" - it must be ingrained into them when they're in their training to tag it on to every utterance they make.

I wonder if Smartie can tell us why these showers developed today perhaps it should be called the Great Glen effect as I've seen it quite often this year aligned in the same way.

2019-06-22_145850.jpg

xmetman

Jun 22, 2019, 10:17:41 AM6/22/19
to Weather and Climate
Interesting band of upper cloud and convergence inland from the Moray firth coastline, the showers seem to be occurring almost where the two intersect.

2019-06-22_151438.jpg

Julian Mayes

Jun 22, 2019, 3:32:50 PM6/22/19
to Weather and Climate
Maybe it is some strange effect your arrival has triggered. :)       I must admit that I'd never noticed this shower line before the last few weeks - the one aligned parallel but NW of the Gt Glen. I suppose the SWlies are usually less frequent at this time of year.

I usually glance at the Dingwall area when looking at the radar as I used to stay there (Tulloch Castle Hotel to be exact) when working up there a few years ago. It was a bit of a favourite location.

Julian
Molesey

xmetman

Jun 22, 2019, 4:30:04 PM6/22/19
to Weather and Climate
It's not unlike the weather in Devon. Days start sunny, convection starts cloud fills in, occasional showers during afternoon, convection ceases cloud breaks, sunny evening.

So many days like that recently.

Message has been deleted

Smartie

Jun 23, 2019, 4:31:12 AM6/23/19
to Weather and Climate
On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 3:14:01 PM UTC+1, xmetman wrote:
 why these showers developed today perhaps it should be called the Great Glen effect as I've seen it quite often this year aligned in the same way.

The Manunicast 4km  suggests some dry air above the boundary layer and a few 100 J/Kg CAPE at Aberdeen. There are also hints of a weak upper front in some plots likely associated with the arc of high cloud. Heating over terrain and/or upslope winds would easily trigger the relatively shallow convection. Given the backed surface wind and low-level lapse rate a funnel cloud might have been  possible beneath congestus.

skewt_ABED_2019-06-22_1300.png

xmetman

Jun 23, 2019, 4:47:59 AM6/23/19
to Weather and Climate
Thanks for the explanation Smartie.

You're like our own personal meteorological genie of the lamp!

Len

Jun 23, 2019, 7:40:18 AM6/23/19
to Weather and Climate
Your experience of Devon Bruce, if I am correct, was inland Devon.
On the coast during high pressure situations it often stays sunny all day.
The cloud builds inland.. There may be a sea breeze.

Len
Wembury, SW Devon coast

xmetman

Jun 23, 2019, 9:56:21 AM6/23/19
to Weather and Climate
Yes, Len we lived near Cullompton, and that convective infill happened quite often during the summer.

I think the Devon term for it was a "foxy" sun.