Amber warning of heavy thunderstorms

xmetman

May 31, 2018, 11:05:46 AM5/31/18
to Weather and Climate

Here's were I shoot myself in the foot...

There are certainly some heavy showers around this afternoon, and some are thundery, but they are relatively scattered with the main cumulonimbus cells off the east coast of England heading steadily northwest.

I supposed the amber warning has to cover these more local storms but at the moment I don't see them merging "to produce some larger and more persistent areas of thunderstorms" as they said they would.

Martin Rowley [West Moors/East Dorset]

May 31, 2018, 11:25:09 AM5/31/18
to Weather and Climate
... I wonder if they're trying to cover the 'along-flow' organisation of these storms: those currently (1520Z) Sussex, Surrey, Wilts etc., seem to have some intense echoes buried in them and perhaps those will cause problems as the individual cells propagate along the flow and trigger daughter cells which could be equally intense - especially as they interact with the major M-way traffic etc.

Fine here now - we /may/ have escaped .... again :-)

Martin.

xmetman

May 31, 2018, 11:59:44 AM5/31/18
to Weather and Climate
Yes, we've had another charmed existence here in mid-Devon, were its stayed dry up till now.
It's even manged to brighten up for the first time in several days.

xmetman

Jun 1, 2018, 4:46:42 AM6/1/18
to Weather and Climate
Yesterdays 06-06 rainfall totals