Hampstead Storm 14 August 1975

xmetman

Aug 10, 2016, 7:00:35 AM8/10/16
to weathera...@googlegroups.com
I was just reminded by a post on the UKSW newsgroup (thanks to P.Chortik) about the Hampstead Storm of 1975.  I have just cobbled together an article on my blog that links to an article by Philip Eden on the storm, there is also a link to a PDF with a more detailed report about it. I also produced this 1800 UTC plotted SYNOP chart with streamlines that showed the convergence that helped generate the quasi-stationary cumulonimbus system responsible:-

Freddie

Aug 10, 2016, 9:30:19 AM8/10/16
to Weather and Climate
Probably a slip of the pen, but it would've been convergence that helped generate the quasi-stationary cumulonimbus - at least at the surface, which your chart was representing.

xmetman

Aug 10, 2016, 9:40:02 AM8/10/16
to weathera...@googlegroups.com
A slip of the pen - I got it right in the blog!