Thames estuary snow showers in Devon!

xmetman

Feb 28, 2018, 5:32:41 PM2/28/18
to weathera...@googlegroups.com
The easterly gradient is so strong that we are seeing light snow showers being blown right way across the country from the Thames estuary this evening into mid-Devon.

I know the Met Office weather has been suspended but I can still access it.
There is a strange area east of Ipswich that is free from snow.
I wonder if a radar is missing or if this or another technical issue is the real reason why they've suspended it at the moment.
I can't believe for one moment they can't cope with the demand.

Here's a 21 UTC chart to remember.
Another frost on the Scilly Isles this evening....

John Hall

Mar 1, 2018, 5:47:34 AM3/1/18
to Weather and Climate
I notice a number of stations were claiming to have rain! When are they going to develop an AWS that can reliably distinguish between the two?

xmetman

Mar 1, 2018, 6:05:05 AM3/1/18
to Weather and Climate
John that might be as much to do with my plotting using the correct WW code weather symbols.
The automatic WW code doesn't directly match the manual WW and might need alterations to some of the characters in the font that I use.

Dave C

Mar 1, 2018, 10:05:55 AM3/1/18
to Weather and Climate
I was going to post along those lines last night. The irony was that the streamer was intensifying after passing by me and I am just 5 miles north of the Estuary. Not that I am complaining with 15cm of snow, probably my coldest ever birthday today,  (yes John we are a similar age ;-)  )

Freddie

Mar 1, 2018, 10:13:24 AM3/1/18
to Weather and Climate
If you check the value of ix when decoding you can switch between the two weather tables.

--
Freddie