Longest day time lapse

jack.h...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2022, 8:39:30 PM6/21/22
to Weather and Climate
Around 18 hours >>> 43 seconds.  Looks southeast from near Nairn, Highland

https://youtu.be/M2GDHPbkVc4

Jack

Nick Gardner

Jun 22, 2022, 2:27:39 PM6/22/22
to Weather and Climate
A little time lapse video ofthe Summer Solstice sun rising taken from my garden here in the Otter Valley, Devon.

jack.h...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2022, 2:42:01 PM6/22/22
to Weather and Climate
Nice sunrise Nick.  I love sky time lapse but they don't seem to be all that popular.

Jack

Nick Gardner

Jun 22, 2022, 3:15:18 PM6/22/22
to Weather and Climate
Thanks Jack. I think technology has made time lapse 'so yesteryear'. At one time we marvelled at them but now people yawn!

jack.h...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2022, 7:20:50 AM6/23/22
to Weather and Climate
Yes, time lapse is not the novelty it once was. But I find it very instructional. To name just a few uses:

  • Seeing what the weather had been while away.
  • Storm development.
  • Frontal cloud thickening.
  • Different winds at different heights.
  • Mountain wave (my particular love as a retired glider pilot).

This clip shows the winds early on 22 June and the weak wave later in the day.
 Note the cloud forming and dissipating in the same spot – a marker for wave. Neither would have been easily observable to the casual sky watcher.

https://youtu.be/YFnwZuzWxyQ

Jack

Len W

Jun 23, 2022, 9:28:50 AM6/23/22
to Weather and Climate
Nice film jack.
What type of camera are you using?

Len

jack.h...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2022, 3:14:09 PM6/23/22
to Weather and Climate
SJ Cam 4000, a GoPro clone but nothing like so expensive.
Many similar cameras are available, some very cheap.  But not all have time lapse.  I wasted money (under £20) on one that didn't have time lapse, my main reason for getting it.  None give High Def images but perfectly adeque for the intended use.

For those clever people who can spell SmartPhone, I believe that these things can have an "app" to make time lapse.  I don't have a SmartPhone, just a StupidPhone that makes and receives telephone calls but does nothing else.

Today's (23rd) skies looked interesting but until I see the time lapse later, I am unsure if the clouds were entirely lee wave or convective - probably a mixture of the two.

Jack