Artist John Constable (1776 - 1837) Cloud studies.

jack.h...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2023, 3:11:08 AM8/21/23
to Weather and Climate
Clouds and weather featured prominently in many of his paintings.
 Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Constable

Extracts:

"In addition to the full-scale oil sketches, Constable completed numerous observational studies of landscapes and clouds, determined to become more scientific in his recording of atmospheric conditions."

and

"To the sky studies he added notes, often on the back of the sketches, of the prevailing weather conditions, direction of light  .... he is known to have been influenced by the pioneering work of the meteorologist Luke Howard on the classification of clouds"

Constables are readily available online.

However, I have become intrigued recently by image generating software Night Cafe and created some "Constables".  Night Cafe is excellent when it comes to balance and composition, but frequently gets human figures out of scale.  Moreover, I often find the raw output is very dark.  So a quick tweak with the likes of Photoshop is often needed.  Anyway, two "pseudo-Constables".

23-08-21-Constable-Sky-01.jpg
23-08-21-Constable-Sky-05.jpg

Jack

Len

Aug 22, 2023, 11:12:38 AM8/22/23
to Weather and Climate
 A colleague of mine while I was in the Geography Dept. at UCL (1976-1979) John Thornes, was obsessed with John Constable's clouds.
He wrote two books, the first of which is out of print but the second from 1999 is
'John Constable's Skies: A Fusion of Art and Science'.
I think you can get hold of a copy on Amazon for £35.

Len
Wembury

jack.h...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2023, 11:52:38 AM8/22/23
to Weather and Climate
i am going to have to ask this fellow;

NC-23-08-22-SantaClaus.jpg

That's another Night Cafe creation.

Jack

jack.h...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2023, 1:01:45 PM8/22/23
to Weather and Climate
 Re-incarnated Constable has decided to embrace the modern style of using vertical format for landscapes.  He has developed the concept.

NC-23-08-22-Constable-01.jpg

Jack

Len W

Aug 22, 2023, 5:57:43 PM8/22/23
to Weather and Climate
A handy format for deep convection. He knows a thing or two.

Len