Penzance - A few heatwave statistics.

Graham Easterling

Aug 14, 2022, 8:19:23 AM8/14/22
to Weather and Climate
Apart from the fact that 29.8C on 11th was a new record for Penzance (though it may get beaten today, it's currently 29.2C) it's a remarkable heatwave for other reasons.

The period of quite exceptional temperatures, for Penzance is way beyond anything that has gone before.

Up until this year I had only ever, since 1991, recorded >28C on 10 occasions. The longest period of consecutive days was 3, back in August 2003, when the highest reached was 28.3C. The 11th occasion came in July this year, just the 1 day.

Today is the 5th consecutive day >28C!

It's worth remembering that Penzance has been one of the coolest spots in Cornwall, which is normal during a heatwave. The north coast with persistent offshore windshas been the hottest. I believe there have been 4 days >30C at St Mawgan.

Despite it beating the previous temperature record, and smashing any heatwave for duration of exceptionally hot days, there has been no heat alert for much of Cornwall. I think that needs looking at.

Cornwall's reservoirs are particularly low.

The largest reservoir in Devon,

2022-08-14 13_16_43-Capture.png

The largest in Cornwall

2022-08-14 13_17_04-Capture.png
Graham
Penzance

Graham Easterling

Aug 14, 2022, 10:41:45 AM8/14/22
to Weather and Climate
New all time, well using a Stevenson screen and sheathed thermometers, temperature record set. It is calm, if anything the wind is F1 NW, temperature 30.3C. 1st ever 30C in Penzance. With no wind and strong sun its baking. Just spent an hour in the sea and can’t say I feel much cooler.

Sea breeze on the north coast has lowered the temperature a fair bit, as it has in Plymouth. Here the sea is glassy.

Graham
Penzance