It's Groundhog Day

xmetman

Feb 2, 2018, 4:03:32 AM2/2/18
to Weather and Climate
You may think that this is a bit off topic, but today is Groundhog day and Candlemas.
I always liked this bit of weather lore even it is total rubbish.

If Candlemas Day be fair and bright,
Winter will have another flight.
But if Candlemas Day bring clouds and rain,
Winter is gone and won’t come again.
If Candlemas Day be mild and gay,
Go saddle your horses, and buy them hay
But if Candlemas Day be stormy and black
It carries the winter away on its back.

The film Groundhog day has always been one of my favourites, perhaps its because it's about an old curmudgeon TV weather presenter played by Bill Murray. Here are a couple of  quotes from the it courtesy of IMDB that still make me smile for some reason...

John Hall

Feb 2, 2018, 11:22:34 AM2/2/18
to Weather and Climate
I'm glad that you mentioned Candlemas. I believe other European countries have similar sayings about it, and it's clearly from them that the American Groundhog Day derives. It's a shame that nowadays far more of our people will have heard of Groundhog Day than Candlemas.

David Mitchell

Feb 2, 2018, 2:07:43 PM2/2/18
to Weather and Climate
Here in France, Candlemas is equivalent to pancake day.
They say that if you toss your pancake and it falls on the floor, more snow will follow, if it sticks to the ceiling, there will be a lack of sun, but if it falls in the pan, all will be rosy.
I made that up, but it's probably as accurate as a grunting hog.

Len W

Feb 2, 2018, 3:30:20 PM2/2/18
to Weather and Climate
Candlemas harks back to pre electric, oil lamp the days when you took a few candles to church to have them blessed and to give thanks for the light they gave.

I hope these times will not return.

Candles are green energy and will not add to global warming.
All a bit late I know.

Len
Wembury

Dave C

Feb 3, 2018, 8:32:59 PM2/3/18
to Weather and Climate
I also love that film and always think of it if I hear Sonny and Cher singing "I got you Babe". I often watch it, over and over and over and...........................