West Cornwall - Very dry conditions continue.

Graham Easterling

Jun 16, 2022, 3:33:23 PM6/16/22
to Weather and Climate
In Penzance the 1st 5 months of the year were the driest since 1992.

We missed much of the rain that affected east Cornwall & Devon earlier in the month, and tend to keep well clear of any afternoon inland shower development at this time of year.

As a result just 10.2mm of rain so far this month, 15% of the norm for the whole month. The rainfall forecasts for the next few days seem to vary greatly from run to run.

Nearby Stithians Reservoir.

2022-06-16 20_24_16-Capture.png

Graham
Penzance

Nick Gardner

Jun 16, 2022, 3:54:41 PM6/16/22
to Weather and Climate
Yes, it's been a dry 2022 so far.

Here:
Jan = 26.8 mm
Feb = 40.0 mm
Mar = 60.6 mm
Apr = 13.6 mm
May = 40.8 mm
June = 2.0 mm.

Rainfall total for Spring = 115.0 mm
Rainfall total so far this year = 183.8 mm.

No wonder my lawns have turned to straw, helped by the high level of sunshine over the last 8 days bringing the June sunshine total to 131 hours (1st - 16th). Looking at the countryside, the environmental drought conditions are now becoming severe. We had a wildfire this afternoon in a field nearby but because there was no wind, it didn't spread too far.  Only March and May reached their average rainfall.

We've had a lot of droughts over the last few years with 2018 & 2020 being quite severe.

 --
Nick Gardner
Otter Valley, Devon

Len W

Jun 16, 2022, 4:31:14 PM6/16/22
to Weather and Climate
The total storage of the main reservoirs in the SW is more alarming.
Quite a bit less thusfar even than the extreme year of 1995.
Firefox_Screenshot_2022-06-16T20-27-30.366Z.png
I hope we don't have to share bath water.

Len
Wembury, SW Devon

Graham Easterling

Jun 17, 2022, 4:32:21 AM6/17/22
to Weather and Climate
I hope we don't have to share bath water.

It rather depends who I'm sharing it with!

Huge bank of sea fog moved north off Land's End, affecting Scilly & Cape Cornwall, probably parts of the north coast of Cornwall as the wind veers. Should stay clear opf it (just) here in Penzance. Well forecast on the models , which allowed this warning to be issued yesterday regarding todays Skybus flights to Scilly.
"The weather forecast for Friday 17th of June is indicating the likelihood of low cloud and reduced visibility at Land’s End and St Mary’s, which may cause disruption to Skybus flights."

Sennen 09:25, the airport is on top of the fog shrouded cliff top

2022-06-17 09_25_44-Capture.png

Cloudless here in Penzance, 19.6C @ 09:00, highest 09:00 temperature this year by quite a margin.

You can just see the bank of fog drifting across the Bay towards Lizard point from Pz prom.

2022-06-17 09_29_01-Capture.png

A situation where local knowledge & a glance at webcams is probably better than trusting the weather app.

Graham
Penzance