Bumpy ride aloft SW Norway/Denmark & NW Germany

Martin Rowley [West Moors/East Dorset]

Oct 28, 2017, 4:39:49 PM10/28/17
to Weather and Climate
... Long time since I either plotted or forecast aviation upper winds, but the NW'ly jet in association / coupled-to the development over northern Europe next 24 hours is pretty powerful - not sure that it isn't getting on towards the 'outer range' of historical values for the particular location (not unusual for the North Atlantic of course).

Using the EC output (isotachs in km/hr) I reckon at 300 mbar (FL300), the spot maxima over and downwind of Bergen & Kristiansand looks to be ~310 km/hr (~170 kn), and no doubt the 'true' maxima  will be offset from the standard FL, so could be a touch stronger. The Exeter/WAFC London output VT12Z tomorrow has 170 kn at FL330 and unsurprisingly, OCNL SEV CAT: I would imagine that turbulence could be lively over & downwind of the SW Norwegian high ground.

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Len W

Oct 28, 2017, 6:22:40 PM10/28/17
to Weather and Climate
Reminds me of a few years back when I experienced my scariest landing ever.
It was at Oslo airport. We were thrown from side to side as the aircraft was on finals.
Got down in one piece but 10 out of 10 for the pilot.

Len
Wembury