Hail storm in Guadalajara

xmetman

Jul 1, 2019, 1:36:30 PM7/1/19
to Weather and Climate

The news of the "freak" hail storm in Guadalajara seems to be making the headlines in today's news.

They even had Ben Rich gesticulating madly to describe just how hail is formed in a cumulonimbus cloud.

The trouble is that the news gives you little information about what actually happened - how can a metre of hail fall on the city of Guadalajara?

2019-07-01_181819.jpg

Courtesy of Twitter

I believe what happened - and I could be wrong - is that heavy rain carried large quantities of floating hail which left behind deep hail drifts as the flood water subsided.

It always appears that feet of hail fell in certain location when its the accumulation of hail from a much wider area.

What it reminded me of was a thunderstorm that affected Ottery St Mary in 2008 leaving similar deep drifts of hail in parts of the town.

_48625516_drift_car_jo_hardy.jpg

There was a similar picture of drifts of hail from a severe thunderstorm in a street in Tunbridge Wells in the 1950's if my memory serves me correctly.

xmetman

Jul 1, 2019, 2:22:04 PM7/1/19
to Weather and Climate
My long term memory can't be that bad - it's not the exact picture I was thinking about but it's near enough.

2019-07-01_191524.jpg