How dry is it?

Len W

Jul 1, 2022, 2:43:41 PMJul 1
to Weather and Climate
Here in Wembury, on the SW Devon coast June gave 59.9 mm (89% of average)
For the first half of 2022, Jan to June, we have had 360.4 mm (70% of 30 yr average).

So a bit on the dry side but everything around these parts is nicely green.
Still plenty of the summer to go though and we have the hoards of holidymakers to look forward to who will put a strain on the water supply with showers and the like.
Somewhat of a worry as the total water storage in our reservoirs is only 68% which is quite a bit down on the dry year of 1995.Firefox_Screenshot_2022-07-01T18-40-37.445Z.png

Nick Gardner

Jul 1, 2022, 3:43:20 PMJul 1
to Weather and Climate
Len, a total of 30.8 mm for June and 21.0 mm of that fell in the last 3 days of the month. I expect things will start greening up a little here with the recent rain but as usual at this time of year, unless it is seriously wet the drought will persist until October and given the forecast, the greening up may be temporary. Those reservoirs will probably continue to empty!

--
Nick Gardner
Otter Valley, Devon

Graham Easterling

Jul 1, 2022, 4:25:22 PMJul 1
to Weather and Climate
58.3mm in Penzance

Plenty enough to keep the lawn growing, a bit of a blow,  but with the preceding very dry conditions, I can't imagine hardly any getting as far as the reservoirs.

June was the 8th consecutive dry month and 2021 was the driest year since 2011.

Lovely sunny afternoon down here, away from those inland Cu & Cb.

2022-07-01 14_21_54-Capture.png

Graham
Penzance

Julian Mayes

Jul 1, 2022, 6:25:44 PMJul 1
to Weather and Climate
Positively drenched compared with parched Surrey here.  I put this twitter earlier

Jan - June  187mm     30% of annual average, not much more than last July's 160mm, my wettest month in 22 years.

I've yet to reach 50mm in any month this year.

All rather concerning in view of the dry and probably hot outlook into July.    The fire risk on the heathlands is going to be an issue.   The long dry period also likely to hit the relatively slow-responding catchments over here.

Julian.  Molesey, Surrey.

Tudor Hughes

Jul 2, 2022, 10:11:32 AMJul 2
to Weather and Climate
Similar here, even in the Elevated Surrey Wetlands (annual average 824 mm).  Total for June was 21.2 mm and Jan-June 203 mm.

Tudor Hughes, Warlingham.