Storm reports Weds 17th and Thur 18th June

Julian Mayes

Jun 16, 2020, 4:52:52 PM6/16/20
to Weather and Climate
No, I'm not claiming to see into the future but I thought it might be useful to start a thread in good time for any sign rain / thunderstorms. At least it would save people from having to post under a subject line referring to a cloud in Surrey!

Now that's tempting fate...

Julian

Len

Jun 16, 2020, 6:08:33 PM6/16/20
to Weather and Climate
I am awaiting with baited breath.
UKMO have already removed the lightning symbols from the Wembury forecast for 1200, 1300, 1400 hrs tomorrow 17th.

Len
Wembury

Dave C

Jun 17, 2020, 7:04:07 AM6/17/20
to Weather and Climate
I am awaiting, but I will not be baiting my breath ;-)

Len

Jun 17, 2020, 7:06:50 AM6/17/20
to Weather and Climate
Storms to the north of us again spawning off the high ground of Dartmoor, Bodmin Moor and Exmoor.
They are drifting west in a light Noreasterly.
We are on the edge of them again but one heavy shower did affect us for 15 mins at 1030.

Interesting thunderstorm warnings on my UKMO mobile app.
At 0343 they cancelled the warning but reinstated it at 1100 presumably when they noticed red echoes appearing on the radar images.
LOL

Len
Wembury SW Devon

Len

Jun 17, 2020, 7:18:48 AM6/17/20
to Weather and Climate
Dave C
I am awaiting, but I will not be baiting my breath

12:04 PM (12 minutes ago)
Perhaps eating garlic might help bring some storms ;-)

Len

Graham Easterling

Jun 17, 2020, 7:43:16 AM6/17/20
to Weather and Climate
At 0343 they cancelled the warning but reinstated it at 1100 presumably when they noticed red echoes appearing on the radar images.
LOL
They actually noticed reality? that's a 1st!

1.3mm in Penzance in the 24 hours to 09:00. Plenty of big Cb just to the south, streaming in a line from near Helston, but quite sunny yesterday afternoon here with VG visibility.

Spells of sunshine here this morning, 17C @ 09:00, now around 19C, 18C up at Culdrose. Looking interesting to the east, but it did yesterday when there was minor flooding near Truro. Just got sunnier as the day went on here.

Time will tell, I'd hate to be forecasting any detail today.

Graham
Penzance

Julian Mayes

Jun 17, 2020, 7:58:47 AM6/17/20
to Weather and Climate
Well Len, both of are in 'active' weather areas today......

Came in from the garden at 1225 when thunder heard to SE. A few spots of rain. This may not be the most exciting report of the day but I see that we're importing storms from France for the first time in this unsettled spell over the Strait of Dover. At last.

Today the firing line appears to be just east of me over S London. I do hope some areas that have missed out on rain so far this month get some of it this pm.  A detailed rainfall map for this month would be interesting - I mean detailed, not the smallish interpolated map on the MO website.

Julian     - more rumbling to my east 1255 BST.

Tudor Hughes

Jun 17, 2020, 10:19:50 AM6/17/20
to Weather and Climate
    My report is equally unexciting.  A few rumbles of thunder at 12.20 but no rain at all.  No wind either, or sun.  8/8 with cloud at various levels, mostly medium.  Movement, vertical or horizontal, difficult to detect.

Tudor Hughes, Warlingham, NE Surrey

Julian Mayes

Jun 17, 2020, 10:52:43 AM6/17/20
to Weather and Climate
Unexciting? :)   The convergence line from the Surrey / Sussex sea breeze front is running a bit further SW - more to N Hants / Berks.

But look further afield - eg at the radar.....  apparently 16.2mm at St. James' Park in hour to 13 Z.    Zeroes at other London sites in that hour.  Neither seem to match radar imagery perfectly.  But overall, for the SE / East Anglia, this must be the most active storm day yet in this sequence.

Julian

Brian Wakem

Jun 17, 2020, 12:50:53 PM6/17/20
to Weather and Climate
All missed.  No rain.

--
Brian Wakem
Lower Bourne, Farnham, Surrey

Freddie

Jun 17, 2020, 1:22:34 PM6/17/20
to Weather and Climate
Wishy-washy thunderstorm here 1625z to 1650z.  A few rumbles, no lightning seen, 0.2 mm of rain.
Looks like being a tad damp here Thursday morning.

--
Freddie
Dorrington

Dave C

Jun 17, 2020, 1:23:49 PM6/17/20
to Weather and Climate
Same here but radar was accurate in predicting the gaps.

Julian Mayes

Jun 17, 2020, 3:18:54 PM6/17/20
to Weather and Climate
I hate to break the sequence of non-reports (you all must live in the wrong places...:)   ) but at risk of slightly stealing Colin's thunder (please excuse pun but could not resist), there ARE some large rainfall totals about to be unveiled in his UK post later this evening.

Maybe more members needed in East Midlands down to Bristol.

Julian
Molesey - looking out for the central London thunderstorm approaching.

Len

Jun 17, 2020, 3:19:33 PM6/17/20
to Weather and Climate
Well it was an exciting day here looking at the storms on the radar.
They were all over the place but no thunder and lightning here, no hail either.
Some heavy rain though. Total of 12.8 mm.

And the sun came out after 3.30, raising the temp to 20C to give an excellent end to the day.
The garden has never had it so good.

Len
Wembury

Len

Jun 17, 2020, 5:48:28 PM6/17/20
to Weather and Climate
Clap of thunder heard at 21.10 BST.
From a surprising last gasp shower.

Len
Wembury

Dave C

Jun 17, 2020, 8:15:15 PM6/17/20
to Weather and Climate
Rain finally materialises just before midnight. Before that it would approach me perfectly, turn to drizzle and then three miles west of me explode into the max colour on the radar. Amazing. Since midnight I've started to get some heavier bursts which are longer lasting and it is started to mount up now. Will have filled the water butts which is always the main objective!

Tudor Hughes

Jun 17, 2020, 10:55:11 PM6/17/20
to Weather and Climate
    Merely steady light-moderate rain here.  No thunder.

Tudor Hughes, Warlingham.

Graham Easterling

Jun 18, 2020, 4:20:41 AM6/18/20
to Weather and Climate
Same here. Sunny spells in the morning. Mainly cloudy afternoon, though bright. Patchy rain in the evening.

A grand total of 1.1 mm to 09:00 today, 1.3mm yesterday. Very different further up the County, minor flooding near Truro.

It would be good to see the vast difference in weather between many coastal locations, and the weather up the spine of Cornwall / Devon, & where the winds offshore, reflected in the forecasts. Just grey this morning.

So no thunder, no real heat, no surf, no strong wind, its all been a bit boring!

Graham
Penzance

Metman2012

Jun 18, 2020, 5:57:15 AM6/18/20
to Weather and Climate
Here in the oasis of S Oxfordshire, we had a trace yesterday but 17.7mm since it started just after midnight. That's a bit better.

Dave C

Jun 18, 2020, 6:07:42 AM6/18/20
to Weather and Climate
Pretty much the wettest day here since may 2017 ! Steady sometimes heavy rain from midnight till 9.00am giving 23mm. So no thunderstorms but significant rain at last :-)
In yesterday's forecast they spent a lot of time emphasising the thunderstorms. This rain belt was forecast but hadn't expected that much rain from it based on the forecast i must admit. I suppose 23mm is not that much of a big deal for most of the Country.

Len

Jun 18, 2020, 6:05:20 PM6/18/20
to Weather and Climate
15.8 mm here at 1800 and still raining through the evening.
This is a quasi-stationary low, stuck, with no steering from the upper level flow.

Len
Wembury