2016SEP29_1435Z West Moors Mock Sun

Martin Rowley [West Moors/East Dorset]

Sep 29, 2016, 10:55:47 AM9/29/16
to Weather and Climate

xmetman

Sep 29, 2016, 11:12:51 AM9/29/16
to Weather and Climate
Nice image. Looks like a colourful comet...

Stephen Davenport

Sep 29, 2016, 12:21:05 PM9/29/16
to Weather and Climate
========

Very nice, thanks. The "extension" is part of the parhelic circle.

Stephen
Indianapolis IN

Martin Rowley [West Moors/East Dorset]

Sep 29, 2016, 4:08:17 PM9/29/16
to Weather and Climate
... The whole event lasted about a minute: I dashed indoors and grabbed the phone (which I'm not really used to using for this purpose), pointed and hoped I hit the right button! Was quite 'chuffed' that it turned out so well. You can understand why our forebears would interpret such phenomena with awe: the striking fragment of the P/C looked (as the photo shows), like a tail, with the head (the parhelion) very strongly coloured - the image probably doesn't do the intensity justice. Yet, as the cirriform cloud slid across that patch of the sky, it rapidly disappeared - I shouted to my wife ... " quick look at this ", and it had gone!

Martin.

Paul Garvey

Sep 30, 2016, 10:04:43 AM9/30/16
to Weather and Climate