West Cornwall - Sudden onset of 1st Autumn Gale

Graham Easterling

Oct 31, 2022, 4:05:24 PM10/31/22
to Weather and Climate
The wind has picked up dramatically in the last hour. Recent gusts > 70mph at John Chappell's site near Lands End. Screen grab of the live display. Gusts >60mph on St Mary's.
2022-10-31 19_58_20-Capture.png

Nice to have a real blow at last. With the recent thunder, at least the weather's got plenty going for it.

With this strength of wind, the power supply is now very iffy, overhead supply to Penzance. The lights are flickering like mad, so I'll post this before the power goes.

Graham
Penzance

Graham Easterling

Oct 31, 2022, 4:57:57 PM10/31/22
to Weather and Climate
After a particularly stormy 30 minutes, it's quietened down slightly. However this was Lands End

2022-10-31 20_07_13-Capture.png

That's touching F10 (certainly a good F9) . Or, as BBC weather presenters would say "Hurricane force gusts"

I take it that was a sting jet? Certainly quite something. Gusts to 54mph in Penzance in my most sheltered direction. That's the 2nd strongest 2022 after 58mph on 18th February

There's quite a few posts here on twitter about the storm, which has apparently now been named by MeteoFrance.

Apparently it's been >80mph at Gwennap Head. All quite exciting.

So, strongest gusts since February, possibly of the year in some spots. (No weather warning - yet)

Graham
Penzance

Graham Easterling

Oct 31, 2022, 5:03:24 PM10/31/22
to Weather and Climate
Another screen grab, the rapid onset was really quite something

2022-10-31 21_02_01-Capture.png

Graham (That's it - goodnight)

Len

Oct 31, 2022, 6:55:45 PM10/31/22
to Weather and Climate
It's Halloween and the wind is scary. Gusting 50-60 mph here in SW Devon.
Had about an inch (25 mm) rain for event so far.

Storm Claudio according to the French.
Would n't like to be at sea.

Len
Wembury

Graham Easterling

Nov 1, 2022, 5:23:16 AM11/1/22
to Weather and Climate
It was the worst gale in west Cornwall, certainly easily the most damaging, of the year. It's unusual in a way, normally it's the sea that causes the damage, but it was so shortlived the sea was very rough, but with no exceptional, powerful swell. I see on Kernow weather group that 93mph was recorded somewhere near Lands End, but I can't determine where.

Around 9pm yesterday 700 properties in the far west of Cornwall were without power.

The main road out of Penzance (the old A30) heading west, a couple 200 yards or so past my house was blocked by a tree. At the same town the main road heading north was blocked near the Penzance bypass. There are currently no trains in or out of Penzance due to signalling damage. I've just wandered out and to walk down Alexandra road to the sea front and back you have to pick your way between fallen branches. I don't think I've ever known such a rapid wind increase to a sustained severe gale force.

If any wind event this year deserved a weather warning, this was it. The sudden onset meant people were caught out with branches falling around them. Quite an achievement in west Cornwall where the only trees are in sheltered spots!

Still with thunder & a severe gale, October went out with a bang, that's witches for you.

It's a positively benign F4 now.

Graham
Penzance