Stormy in Penzance

Len W

Jul 29, 2021, 4:02:39 PM7/29/21
to Weather and Climate
This webcam atm is showing big waves breaking over the prom and Jubilee pool.

Len

Graham Easterling

Jul 30, 2021, 4:06:22 AM7/30/21
to Weather and Climate
Certainly turned very unpleasant, but no more than that. The waves were coming straight into Penzance yesterday evening,  but even out at Sevenstone's the swell height peaked at only 15'. It is clearly very rough though. I took an ex poster on USW out on a RIB ride when the swell was 18' at Sevenstones, but there was little wind, so it was just a thrill to bouncing off the wave tops and watch the standing waves in a tidal race off Gwennap Head. A RIB did get overturned off Gwennap Head,  the day after and had to be rescued by the lifeboat. I was younger and more resilient then.

At Lands End no gusts > 60mph, the Island at St Ives, a notorious spot also just shy of 60mph. Here in Penzance highest gust 38mph. My strongest July gust 49mph 8th July 2004. (Records start 1992)

Cornwall Live etc. have had little to report apart from wrecked campsites. Most campsites in Cornwall are near cliff tops, it must have been a night to forget.

For the press to make comparisons with the truly exceptional F11 Fastnet Storm, when 19 died and dozens of yachts capsized in a 30-50' swell, only 85 of 303 yachts made it back, is a bit silly. That was up there with the most severe of Cornish gales, irrespective of the time of year.

Graham
Penzance

Graham Easterling

Jul 30, 2021, 4:08:17 AM7/30/21
to Weather and Climate
Quite interesting bit on re forecasting the Fastnet storm

Graham

Graham Easterling

Jul 30, 2021, 4:39:13 AM7/30/21
to Weather and Climate
Swell height already down to 7' the keen surfers will be disappointed. A locally generated windwave rather than a big ocean swell, so quickly fades.
Graham
Penzance