Flooding from Cyclone Mekunu in southern Oman

xmetman

May 30, 2018, 12:03:35 PM5/30/18
to Weather and Climate

I couldn't believe this video either...

Twitter Link

Jack Harrison

May 30, 2018, 9:55:04 PM5/30/18
to Weather and Climate

I used to fly in and out of Salalah regularly in the mid 1960s.  It rarely rained (although often low cloud).  There was one rain storm during my two years in the area.  The desert turned a brilliant green but the vegetation had gone within a few weeks.  It will be interesting to see the desert bloom after Mekunu.

Question.  How efficient is the local weather forecasting?  Were the inhabitants forewarned?

Jack

xmetman

May 31, 2018, 1:54:41 AM5/31/18
to Weather and Climate
I should imagine in the days of smart phones that everyone seems to carry with them these days and providing they were savvy enough to have installed some kind of app then I would say definitely yes!

Jack Harrison

May 31, 2018, 2:16:58 AM5/31/18
to Weather and Climate

I should imagine in the days of smart phones that everyone seems to carry with them these days.......
Up-country Oman no doubt has good phone coverage.   Maybe I should move there.  Mobile phone signal is unknown of in this part of Scotland.

Jack