I had thought this was 2022 (Queen's death)

jack.h...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2022, 2:32:55 AM9/10/22
to Weather and Climate
"Met Office suspends forecasts out of ‘respect’ for Queen, sparking Twitter backlash.  The weather agency will apparently refrain from sharing advanced forecasts on social media."

Somebody has to be the first to say it so here goes.

I am not anti-Royalty but the hype, cancellations, etc has been ludicrous.  The rest of the world must be laughing at the UK.

Jack

jack.h...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2022, 3:45:45 AM9/10/22
to Weather and Climate
My wife just asked: "Is it going to be sunny?"    "Out of respect for the Queen, I'm not allowed to tell you."

Jack

Graham Easterling

Sep 10, 2022, 4:23:16 AM9/10/22
to Weather and Climate
I had tickets for a gig last night. The band wanted to play, they could have had someone stand up to say a few words, which would have been good. The organisers pulled the plug.

For what it's worth I'm neither pro or anti monarchy, it just doesn't interest me, but I do think the Queen did an outstanding job over the generations. We should be celebrating that, not feigning shock that a 96 year old has died.  I happen to know one of the band played a gig on the day his father died, so as to not disappoint the audience.

Graham
Penzance

Ashley haworth-roberts

Sep 10, 2022, 10:56:08 AM9/10/22
to Weather and Climate
I'm not on Twitter so get blocked from reading too many tweets - unless I scroll down and try to find the tweet I want to see. But I did see a Met Office tweet last night clarifying something they had apparently tweeted earlier. The gist appeared to be that any Met Office weather warnings would still be tweeted as they normally are. I found this which appears to chime with what I thought had occurred - it seems the Met Office original tweet was somewhat unclear and was misconstrued: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11197723/Met-Office-mocked-announcing-post-daily-forecasts-respect-Queen.html On the Met Office website the words 'As a mark of respect during this time of national mourning we will only be posting daily forecasts and warnings' do not appear in the press release of 9 September - rather the final paragraph reads ' As a mark of respect the flags at the Met Office will be flown at half-mast'. I also note that BBC News seems to be skipping weather forecasts (and I see that adverts have been suspended on UKTV channels and possibly other commercial channels including Sky News). Whether any of these 'tweeks' are part of Operation London Bridge I'm not sure though I think they probably aren't.

Ashley haworth-roberts

Sep 10, 2022, 10:59:59 AM9/10/22
to Weather and Climate
No Proms finale, Radio 2 festival cancelled, premiership football postponed, Ludlow Food Festival carrying on. Organisers of events are reacting in differing ways. I'm glad the BBC aren't putting all of the BBC One-BBC News coverage - which I've watched some of - on BBC Two etc as well (apart from on Thursday evening).

Len W

Sep 10, 2022, 11:28:03 AM9/10/22
to Weather and Climate
Dark clouds are gathering?
They'll be wanting a forecast for the day of the funeral.
Postcode EC4M 8AD

jack.h...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2022, 11:57:58 AM9/10/22
to Weather and Climate
This "mark of respect" that results in cancellations is utterly absurd.  As Graham says, celebrate the positive life of a woman who has died of old age.

I was chatting to a young mother today; she had her three year old daughter with her.  Apparently the child was looking forward to enjoying some swimming events for youngsters.  It was cancelled "out of respect".  The child was understandably upset and hardly surprising, mum was unable to explain.

Don't get me wrong.  It's not a case of my not having respect for the Queen who did a first class  (and frankly, unenviable) job.  No it's the way that ordinary lives have been disrupted for no good reason.

Jack