Here we go, here we go, here we go

xmetman

May 29, 2018, 5:52:54 AM5/29/18
to Weather and Climate

xmetman

May 29, 2018, 8:16:33 AM5/29/18
to Weather and Climate

Estimate rainfall totals from weather radar in thunderstorms is never precise so treats these 50 mm + totals in the last six hours from Sittingbourne with some caution.

xmetman

May 29, 2018, 9:53:18 AM5/29/18
to weathera...@googlegroups.com

The cumulonimbus cell responsible for the thunderstorm in the southeast has grown quite large now, but SFERIC activity from it has decreased as it's matured.

Metman2012

May 29, 2018, 11:25:42 AM5/29/18
to Weather and Climate
We had a clap of thunder about 20 minutes ago - and there's a sferic just to the east of us at about the same time. But as you say, most of the sferics are much further east, so the one I heard was a late outlier.
BTW what's teh difference between a sferic and a sfloc?

Freddie

May 29, 2018, 11:33:58 AM5/29/18
to Weather and Climate
It thought you might've known that, Malcolm.  A sfloc is the location of a sferic.  A sferic is the actual electrical disturbance.  Sfloc is "sferic location" shortened.

--
Freddie
Ystrad

Julian Mayes

May 29, 2018, 11:38:09 AM5/29/18
to Weather and Climate
Frequent rumbles of thunder here in north Surrey in last hour, especially as I write this.  Normally excellent blitzortung site seems to be showing oddly few lightning strikes.  I am right under the line of thunderstorms extending from mid Kent towards west London - is it my imagination but the same areas seem to be hit day after day - London, north Kent, Bucks, Wiltshire / Hants / Bristol to some extent, rarely much rain in Norfolk or Suffolk / north Essex / south Surrey / north Sussex. Could be some highly variable monthly rainfall amounts!

Julian

Molesey, north Surrey.

RonB

May 29, 2018, 12:54:09 PM5/29/18
to Weather and Climate
Plenty of local flooding around London this afternoon,here in suburban Essex ,Woodford Green,it lashed down between 1130 and 1515 BST ,giving 27.0mm,accompanied,by a very chilly North wind,max gust 27MPH.and a maximum temperature of 16.7c since midnight ,currently 15.5c and feels it !.
Lets hope the manipulating forecasters don't promise us anotherr SULTRY night  !

RonB

xmetman

May 29, 2018, 1:26:00 PM5/29/18
to Weather and Climate
Ron

I thought that Stav Danaos was on another planet with his presentations on the BBC today.

He had a script that he probably wrote at about 8 AM and he obviously liked it so much he kept running with it every half-hour all day no matter what the weather was doing.

In his intro he waxed lyrical about a couple of viewers photographs until about 12.55 PM, that's when he realised that there was some flash flooding going on, so then he introduced a rainfall radar image overlaid with SFERICs.

Bruce.

Metman2012

May 29, 2018, 2:21:21 PM5/29/18
to Weather and Climate
I agree Bruce. He at least put a chart with some sferic symbols, but they are so large, they are pretty much useless. Is the location (the sfloc - thanks Freddie (;)> ) at the point of the stylized lightning stroke?.

xmetman

May 29, 2018, 2:41:33 PM5/29/18
to Weather and Climate
I once wrote an application to visualise SFERICs from the SFUK27 bulletin.
Hopefully this video of it will play:-

xmetman

May 29, 2018, 2:42:35 PM5/29/18
to Weather and Climate
No it doesn't - back to the drawing board!

xmetman

May 29, 2018, 2:49:26 PM5/29/18
to weathera...@googlegroups.com

Thanks to an online WMV to animated GIF converter this is a crude animation of how it looked:-

I got the inspiration for it from the 1983 film Wargames and it even had some onboard sound similar to Blitzortung:-

xmetman

May 29, 2018, 2:55:41 PM5/29/18
to Weather and Climate

xmetman