Drought across the south

xmetman

Aug 17, 2016, 10:05:21 AM8/17/16
to Weather and Climate
I've just looked at the latest rainfall data that I glean from the SYNOP observations I download from OGIMET and noticed that we are now officially experiencing a drought across southern parts depending on which definition of meteorological drought you use!

The definition that I use for the purpose of this analysis is less than 0.2 mm per day for 15 consecutive days.

As I run the application I notice a large blob of rain on the weather radar over SW Devon, so this might be the shortest drought on record in these parts.

Please note, this analysis is based on SYNOP data that may not be complete due to missing reports or values.

Brian Wakem

Aug 18, 2016, 3:24:34 AM8/18/16
to Weather and Climate
A whopping 0.8mm last night.

--
Brian Wakem
Lower Bourne, Farnham, Surrey

xmetman

Aug 18, 2016, 3:44:36 AM8/18/16
to Weather and Climate
It'll be interesting to see how much rain we get from all the fronts spiraling round this deep low over the next few days, perhaps not as much as you'd imagine looking at the GFS graphics.

xmetman

Aug 18, 2016, 9:43:48 AM8/18/16
to weathera...@googlegroups.com
Yesterday's rain fails to halt the drought at a number of stations across the south:-

Please note that because the Irish stations don’t report a 24 hour total I calculate the above rainfall stats using a 00-00 UTC daily total, so the number of drought days at Bournemouth of 15 is based on this, but if you use the 06-06 (24 hour) total the drought ended yesterday. Rainfall statistics gleaned from SYNOPs are not at all straightforward!

Freddie

Aug 18, 2016, 11:58:24 AM8/18/16
to Weather and Climate
How come Shawbury has dropped from 12 days to 7??

xmetman

Aug 18, 2016, 12:12:59 PM8/18/16
to Weather and Climate
I don't know - I'll have a look!

xmetman

Aug 18, 2016, 12:27:57 PM8/18/16
to Weather and Climate
Freddie

If you look at the first map it was for the number of dry days this month.
If you look at the second one it was for the latest total of consecutive dry days.

Admittedly I attached the wrong graphic in the first post - but you get first prize for spotting it!

And the first prize is:-

Rainfall stats are a nightmare - I was going to add that if the office just released the 09 & 21 NCM data it would be much better but it would be even worse - then we would have 00-00, 06-06 and 09-09 totals.

Bruce.

Freddie

Aug 18, 2016, 3:29:08 PM8/18/16
to Weather and Climate
Haha thought I was going mad! Thanks for clearing that up, Bruce.