Fourth or fifth warmest September on cards

xmetman

Sep 28, 2016, 6:42:29 AM9/28/16
to Weather and Climate

It's still seems likely that September 2016 will finish 4th or 5th warmest since 1772 looking at the latest daily values.

Scott Whitehead

Sep 28, 2016, 2:31:10 PM9/28/16
to Weather and Climate

On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 11:42:29 AM UTC+1, xmetman wrote:

It still seems likely that September 2016 will finish 4th or 5th warmest since 1772 looking at the latest daily values.

It is going to be mighty close with my local series, Bruce, back to 1797.

1949: 17.99
2016: 17.86 (provisional, using Met Office forecast for Ilford)
2006: 17.75
1865: 17.7
1929: 17.4

xmetman

Sep 28, 2016, 4:22:10 PM9/28/16
to Weather and Climate
Scott

You might pip 1949 but not 2006.

Bruce.

Paul Garvey

Sep 28, 2016, 4:36:21 PM9/28/16
to Weather and Climate
Thanks Bruce. The odd thing is that it doesn't feel at all exceptional I know the month has been different, in different parts of the UK. September seems to almost be the new August. How things have changed!

What people made of those 19th Century and 18th Century Septembers near the top of the list, is now anyone's guess!

xmetman

Sep 28, 2016, 5:07:15 PM9/28/16
to Weather and Climate
Paul

I've always looked on September as the fourth month of Summer. Many deciduous trees keep their leaves well into November.

Bruce.