Estimated 06-06 rainfall totals

xmetman

Jul 22, 2019, 10:02:30 AM7/22/19
to Weather and Climate

Here's my estimated 24 hour totals ending at 06 UTC this morning.

The southwest of Scotland and Lake District seem to have borne the brunt of it with the Lake district fells seeing over 100 mm of rain.

I did run a level 2 diagnostic on my old code (Star Trek jargon), and although the overall logic seems right to me, precise geolocation over the map may need someone with a lot higher mathematical ability than me!

I did try and check my estimates with the totals on the EA rainfall demonstrator site but couldn't find a rain gauge site that high.

It doesnt help that unlike SEPA, the EA only give an ID for each site and not its name.

They don't display the elevation of the site either - which is quite important to know in any rainfall event - although you may be able to get at it if you interrogate their database with the API.

The graph for rainfall in the last month in Borrowdale (gauge 592448) is not particularly easy to read but the total look well short of 100 mm.

It's hard to believe that this is the same site that reported 316.4 mm in 24 hours in November 2009, for one thing it looks well down in the valley at only 129 AMSL.

2019-07-22_134941.jpg2019-07-22_135101.jpg

2019-07-22_144658.jpg2019-07-22_145921.jpg

Smartie

Jul 23, 2019, 3:42:48 AM7/23/19
to Weather and Climate

xmetman

Jul 23, 2019, 1:00:57 PM7/23/19
to Weather and Climate
Thanks for that Smartie I forgot the Met Office list the wettest place each day.

<rant>

Wouldn't it be a good idea if the someone created an organisation whose job it was to collect and collate daily and hourly rainfall totals and published it online for all to see?

An organisation where the rainfall networks from the UKMO, EA, SEPA and any other voluntary observers AWS could be archived.

At the moment I scratch around downloading rainfall data from SYNOPs from some guy in Spain, and use two different API web services to try and do this - doesn't anyone at any of these agencies talk to each other?

I could never access Achnagart because it's a climate station.

Surely this is what the British Rainfall Organisation founded in 1860 set out to do until it was subsumed by the Met Office.

I'm quite sure if George James Symons was around today he would have made full use of the internet and the thousands of AWS around the country to do just that.

At one time I would have thought this an impossible dream, but just look what the Blitzortung people did to make SFERIC data available to all.

I know there is the Met Office WOW website but...
the trouble with WOW is that rainfall (or any other) observations are of variable quality, and as far as I know it doesn't include hourly rainfall totals from any of the automatic rain gauge network of the Met Office, EA or SEPA.

</rant>