Cloud formation over Stromness Harbour

Dave C

Jun 22, 2022, 6:11:11 PM6/22/22
to Weather and Climate
My brother sent me this unusual Odd cloud formation.jpgcloud formation image from tonight and asked if I knew what it was. I didn't. Can anyone help?

Paul Knightley

Jun 22, 2022, 7:53:38 PM6/22/22
to Weather and Climate
Looks like a lenticular cloud to me, lit up by the low sun angle…great pic!

Len W

Jun 23, 2022, 9:39:21 AM6/23/22
to Weather and Climate
Yes, a cloud formed in the crest of a wave, looks like two moist layers to me.
The wave motion presumably initiated by flow over high ground to the south of Stromness?

Len
Wembury

jack.h...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2022, 2:34:39 PM6/23/22
to Weather and Climate
I'm sure that was weak mountain wave.  Orkney Mainland is flat but Hoy to the south of Stromness has the 479 metre Ward Hill.  I have an annual holiday in Orkney and stay near Stromness.  I haven't actually seen any evidence of mountain wave but that means nothing.

Today Ben Wyvis (northwest of Inverness) was triggering very weak wave (wind was extremely light) and this photo (from Cawdor) shows the mountain and the feeble wave cloud.
Often the trigger hill (it can be quite low) is not all that obvous - but today was just about apparent.

My wind direction isn't entirely accúrate on thje graphic.  It was blowing basically left to right but with a component towards the camera.

22-06-23-121-BenWyvis.jpg

Jack