Wet, wet, wet

Len

Dec 30, 2023, 6:19:35 PM12/30/23
to Weather and Climate
My annual total for 2023 is not going to reach the record total of 1460 mm of 2012 but it will easily be the second wettest and in excess of 1200mm for Wembury.
An unusually long line convection atm stretching from Nantes to Durham is associated with Storm Geraldine. About 550 miles in my estimation.
Long line convection_2023-12-30T22-58-13.006Z.png

Graham Easterling

Dec 31, 2023, 9:19:50 AM12/31/23
to Weather and Climate
Only the 9th wettest here (since 1991).
Wettest 1513.7mm in 1998
This year (to 09:00 today) 1330.9
1993, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2009, 2012, 2018 & 2019 all wetter.

Some torrential rain and hail mid morning, roads awash, temperature dipped to 6C.

The sea state is fairly horrendous.

Half tide, just before the downpours. The wave setup surges and near gale onshore wind mean the sea level is remaining near or just above the normal high tide mark! At least 2m higher in the harbour than the astronomical level. Newlyn, with a near gale offshore, and no wave setup, is still 0.5m above astronomical forecasts.

2023-12-31 09_28_15-Capture.png

Roll on spring!

At least it's interesting.

Graham
Penzance

Nick Gardner

Dec 31, 2023, 2:04:44 PM12/31/23
to Weather and Climate
2023 rainfall here now reached 965 mm which I think makes it the wettest year since 2012.

It's also been a dull one with provisional annual sunshine at 1820 hours making it the dullest since 2017. This December has recorded 45 hours of sunshine making it the dullest of any month in my record going back to December 2005. There has been a tendency for duller Decembers over the last few years.

All things considered, a grim year. It can only get better...

Nick
Otter Valley, Devon.

Graham Easterling

Jan 1, 2024, 2:56:42 PMJan 1
to Weather and Climate
You say it's been grim Nick, but certainly not temperature wise, unless of course you like it chilly.

In fact, 2023 was the warmest year in my 33 year record, 2022 came = second. In fact, somewhat remarkably, no month was colder than the 1991-2020 norm. August came nearest at +0.1C.

2024-01-01 19_48_08-Capture.png

Thought I'd take a leaf out of Len's book & post a graph!

Graham
Penzance

Nick Gardner

Jan 2, 2024, 7:58:16 AMJan 2
to Weather and Climate
Thanks Graham - July & August were a bit grim, relatively of course!

The only two months to record below my very eLTA last year were January & July (both -0.1°C).

What was your annual mean? Mine came out as 12.2°C which makes it the warmest (I think) beating 2014 (12.1°C) though I need to go back and check 2022's data again.

I too will take a leaf out of Len's book and post a graph. This is from my BL recorder and shows just how really grim it has been (sunshine wise) since July with all months having below average sunshine since. Oh how that lovely May & June lulled into a false sense of security... Interestingly, my R&D recorder came out as 1834.7 hours of sunshine for 2023, not bad given the two very different ways of recording sunshine. The BL has a slight tendency to over-record in the summer and under in the winter; the R&D is the other way around and these errors appear to cancel themselves out over the course of the year.

 HistoryYear.png

Nick
Otter Valley, Devon.

Graham Easterling

Jan 2, 2024, 12:01:06 PMJan 2
to Weather and Climate
It was my warmest year on record Nick, at 12.8C
In =2nd place 2007 & 2022 were both 12.6C.

Graham
Penzance