Cherbourg dangler has Devon in its sites

xmetman

Mar 18, 2018, 8:55:54 AM3/18/18
to weathera...@googlegroups.com

We've had a couple of hours of moderate snow here in mid Devon this morning although it never quite made it to heavy but never mind. We now have around 7 or 8 cm of snow and the main band of snow is moving away W'NW. It'll be interesting to see if the plume of showers heading across the channel in some kind of convergence zone emanating from the Cherbourg peninsula will keep the snow going for the rest of the afternoon as that the latest model runs suggest it will.

xmetman

Mar 18, 2018, 9:41:36 AM3/18/18
to Weather and Climate

Smartie

Mar 18, 2018, 10:33:57 AM3/18/18
to Weather and Climate
Strong convergence zone off the south Devon coast

Model suggests the arcs of showers to the south are due to a lobe of vorticity aloft (with a SEly jet ~400-500hPa) rather than surface convergence

xmetman

Mar 18, 2018, 10:43:01 AM3/18/18
to Weather and Climate
Thanks for the input Smartie.

It looks like Cornwall might be in the firing line to get one of the spiralling arms that's being thrown up from that vortex.

Of course I was going to add something along the same lines but I didn't want to confuse people!!!

Len W

Mar 18, 2018, 11:58:05 AM3/18/18
to Weather and Climate
Snowing moderately all afternoon here but not settling like it did during the heavy stuff from 1100-1230.

There seems to be some mixing with maritime air. Temperature around 0°C.
Quite unpleasant. On the cusp of turning to rain..

Len
Wembury, SW Devon coast, 83 m asl

xmetman

Mar 18, 2018, 1:39:03 PM3/18/18
to Weather and Climate
We've just been for a tour of the village where most of the roads are clear due to the warmth they've retained from the mild weather of the previous week.
Temperature now -1.3°C and still snowing slightly - there must be at least 10 cm of level snow on the ground now.
Not as much drifting as in the first cold snap because the snow's a lot stickier.
I imagine that the higher ground of Exmoor and Dartmoor are getting quite a clobbering.
I notice that the temperature at Liscombe at 16 UTC is -3.7°C.