A correlation between El Niño and global CO2

xmetman

Mar 25, 2018, 11:37:01 AM3/25/18
to Weather and Climate

Jack Harrison

Mar 25, 2018, 4:34:04 PM3/25/18
to Weather and Climate
Bruce.  Did you suddenly have an inspiration to see if there is any correlation or was it serendipitous when looking at some other data?

Whatever the background, it is a most instructive correlation.

Jack

xmetman

Mar 26, 2018, 3:15:29 AM3/26/18
to Weather and Climate
Jack

No,I got the idea after criticising the Met Office news blog about Co2 by saying it's the easiest thing in the world to forecast because it's always going up! As usual I got the wrong end of the stick and the Met Office professor pointed out to me on twitter that it was to do with forecasting El Nino and the relationship between the two. As I said in my blog what influences what is a mystery it's a bit like what came first chicken or egg.

Bruce.

John Hall

Mar 26, 2018, 11:44:41 AM3/26/18
to Weather and Climate
That's an impressive level of correlation. With the top graph, it's important to read the small print under the x-axis; otherwise the graph would have appeared to show that there's no long-term CO2 increase.

xmetman

Mar 26, 2018, 3:30:13 PM3/26/18
to Weather and Climate
Yes, it was tricky to achieve but I does work even though it might not be particularly scientific.