Kentucky / Appalachian rain & floods

jack.h...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2022, 6:53:41 AM7/30/22
to Weather and Climate
A lot of info online about the effects and deaths but I can find  nothing (eg synoptic situation / convergence)  as to why there was such an extreme rain event..

Jack

Freddie

Jul 30, 2022, 11:08:19 AM7/30/22
to Weather and Climate
On Saturday, 30 July 2022 at 11:53:41 UTC+1 jack.h...@gmail.com wrote:
A lot of info online about the effects and deaths but I can find  nothing (eg synoptic situation / convergence)  as to why there was such an extreme rain event..

Jack

On the NOAA surface analysis (https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/#page=sfc) for 24 hours ago, they have drawn the situation as a quasi-stationary waving front stretching from north Texas east-north-eastwards towards Kentucky and Virginia, then out into the western Atlantic.

In reality, there is tropical air of high moisture content covering the southern half of the USA.  The jet stream is overhead the boundary between the tropical air and the cooler air to its north.  It looks as if some active short wave upper troughs ran along the jet stream during the past couple of days, and ascent ahead of these created heavy rain.  This would likely have been analysed as waves on the aforementioned front.  Essentially it was uplift of the tropical air that caused the rain.

--
Freddie
Alcaston

Tudor Hughes

Jul 30, 2022, 11:10:18 AM7/30/22
to Weather and Climate
I can find nothing either.  Not a thing.  Maybe it wasn't such a big deal and if the event had taken place elsewhere we would never have heard about it.  I don't imagine the Yanks would have got into a lather about the Lynmouth floods which caused more deaths than this downpour.

Tudor Hughes