Calm sea and clean waves

Len W

Nov 14, 2021, 10:06:43 AM11/14/21
to Weather and Climate
Surfers enjoying clean waves at Wembury today.
It was interesting to watch them having to wait patiently about 5 mins between each wavetrain of 3 or 4 swell waves.

017267c9edca6459c18287a54626871d4f15d8b8c3.jpg
017764b574ef346aad830474f71cebf62b88b0d5e9.jpg
Len
Wembury, SW Devon

Graham Easterling

Nov 14, 2021, 11:03:21 AM11/14/21
to Weather and Climate
Yes, it's been superb surf today Len. No wind, 10' & clean. Shame about the mizzle.

The swell's come a very long way, the period's been around 18secs which makes it 2 to 3,000 miles. The big sets separate out a long way over that distance, hence he long wait! Long period swell also refract much more, hence the breaking waves concentrating where it's shallower meaning a long ride along the wave from the point of focus.

Drifting a bit but some luminescent plankton glowing in the surf at Sennen. At least the photo proves it wasn't the drink.

LuminescentPlanctonAug20.jpg

A friend of mine recently swam into the cave at Nanjizzel (near Lands End) and realised it was full of the plankton which glowed with every stroke.

Graham
Penzance
Message has been deleted

jack.h...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2021, 2:26:11 PM11/14/21
to Weather and Climate
I have been liviing near the sea for the past 10 years, I spent my first 20 years in Great Yarmouth in addition  to many hours flying over the sea, but amazingly I have never seen luminescent plankton.

Today 14th at Lossiemlouth was gorgeous.  Light wind, variable cloud and 13C.  We sat outside for lunch.

21-11-14-091-Lossie.jpg

21-11-14-120-Lossie.jpg

Jack