Penzance - Only 0.8mm of rain so far in May

Graham Easterling

May 12, 2024, 4:15:53 AMMay 12
to Weather and Climate
So, a very dry start to the month. Whilst that's about to change, the last depression to stagger across gave virtually no rain, though tomorrow's front looks a more active affair.

The 'new' Met Office forecast continues to be more accurate than the old one. I'm keeping some data for comparison, but for the last week the new forecast maximum temperature (2 days in advance) has been around 1C low, the old 2.5C low.

Different type of weather coming up (losing the easterly & much more unsettled), but difference remains.

New
2024-05-12 09_11_05-Capture.png

Old
2024-05-12 09_11_43-Capture.png

I think both will be low today, as it's 16C @ 09:00 and the low cloud is failing to make it into Penzance. In fact now it's humid and we've lost the E wind, it's feeling warm already.

Graham
Penzance

Nick Gardner

May 12, 2024, 6:06:21 AMMay 12
to Weather and Climate
The Met Office temperature forecasts for the nearby village (Newton Poppleford) are usually pitifully low. Forecast a maximum today of 19C and already (at 11am) above 20C. I would guess that it will reach 24C today if the sea breeze holds off for a while. And here's the rub, the maximum temperatures here are often before 2pm because of the sea breeze whereas the Met Office seem to think the time of maximum temperature will always be between 3pm and 5pm. It very rarely is.

For Sidmouth (2 miles away) forecast a maximum of 16C. At 11am, it is 19.1C (according to the town council's weather station).

And, as we've discussed before thier UV forecasts are mostly fictional and seem to be entierly based upon %age of cloud cover.

Nick
Otter Valley, Devon.