Spot the deliberate mistake or is it?

xmetman

Oct 30, 2016, 1:17:56 PM10/30/16
to Weather and Climate

John Hall

Oct 30, 2016, 1:27:54 PM10/30/16
to Weather and Climate
The "L 1031" up near Spitzbergen?

xmetman

Oct 30, 2016, 1:36:26 PM10/30/16
to Weather and Climate
Yes. It looked wrong but of course it could be a low embedded close to the centre of the high.

Tudor Hughes

Oct 30, 2016, 3:26:45 PM10/30/16
to Weather and Climate

On Sunday, 30 October 2016 17:36:26 UTC, xmetman wrote:
Yes. It looked wrong but of course it could be a low embedded close to the centre of the high.

     I have seen the same thing in reverse.  In early December 1976 there was a large complex low over the UK and between a couple of the centres there was indicated "H 978", near Scotland.  I think it lasted about 12 hours.

Tudor Hughes

Alastair B. McDonald

Oct 30, 2016, 4:23:35 PM10/30/16
to Weather and Climate
The the first isobar south of the centre must be 1032 mb, so if the centre is 1031 mb then it is a low!

Len Wood

Oct 30, 2016, 7:46:04 PM10/30/16
to Weather and Climate
Did not take long to turn into a High.