Puzzling marks in the snow

jack.h...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2021, 10:33:29 AM2/7/21
to Weather and Climate
I have my own ideas but what do you think?
21-02-07-005-Fornighty.jpg

And a superb new webcam from Hunstanton west Norfolk.  I used to live not far away.

I much prefer the South Prom cam.

Graham will love the surf.

Jack

Len

Feb 7, 2021, 12:06:33 PM2/7/21
to Weather and Climate
Droppings

Julian Mayes

Feb 7, 2021, 2:42:52 PM2/7/21
to Weather and Climate
Foot-prints of the Loch Ness monster - and family ?

I like the comments of people who are wishing to re-visit Hunstanton but for the lockdown.   The radar suggests it ought to be snowing there now but I can't see evidence of it (yet).

Julian

robk fw190

Feb 7, 2021, 6:44:36 PM2/7/21
to Weather and Climate
Pee holes in the snow? :-)

Graham Easterling

Feb 8, 2021, 4:24:35 AM2/8/21
to Weather and Climate
That would be my guess. Despite being near the centre of Penzance we get badgers & foxes in our garden & in dry spells their wee burns the grass in a pattern like that.

One of the badgers
Badger010818 (13).JPG

& according to a wildlife expert on Spring/Winter/Autumn watch (can't remember which)  you don't get to see badgers and foxes together, they avoid each other. Well not in Penzance, caught on camera (just)

BadgerFox130317.jpg

Also badger cub meets a cat!

BadgerBabymeetsCat (2).JPG

To get back on topic, will it snow in Penzance tomorrow? Ideal conditions for showers to stream off the channel across the Lizard & Lands End peninsulas. The Lizard will hopefully help convert the sleet to snow by the time it reaches here.

Graham
Penzance

jack.h...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2021, 5:08:19 AM2/8/21
to Weather and Climate
There have been similar marks in other fields, also with sheep in them

Look top right in my photo.  I surmise it's where sheep have been grazing or even resting.

Jack

Brian Wakem

Feb 8, 2021, 5:15:22 AM2/8/21
to Weather and Climate
On Monday, 8 February 2021 at 09:24:35 UTC Graham Easterling wrote:
That would be my guess. Despite being near the centre of Penzance we get badgers & foxes in our garden & in dry spells their wee burns the grass in a pattern like that.

One of the badgers

& according to a wildlife expert on Spring/Winter/Autumn watch (can't remember which)  you don't get to see badgers and foxes together, they avoid each other. Well not in Penzance, caught on camera (just)

I've caught badgers and foxes together loads of time on camera.  Generally the badgers are in charge.

2019-04-22_022520.JPG

jack.h...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2021, 11:28:56 AM2/8/21
to Weather and Climate
Another mysterious phenomenon in the snow, this time outside my door.
21-02-08-139-Lethen.jpg
Jack

Len W

Feb 8, 2021, 6:09:52 PM2/8/21
to Weather and Climate
Drunken droppings

Len W

Feb 8, 2021, 6:11:53 PM2/8/21
to Weather and Climate
Or more correctly,
Drunkard droppings

Julian Mayes

Feb 9, 2021, 11:51:10 AM2/9/21
to Weather and Climate
Back to the rather fine Hunstanton webcam - no wonder the town is known for its sunsets.  Sunset there now with another snow shower overhead.  Quite a few people out today walking in the snow there.

Hunstanton.PNG
Julian

jack.h...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2021, 12:31:47 PM2/9/21
to Weather and Climate
I just looked at my sunset photo 'album' and picked this one at random.  Taken at  Heacham in fact, just to the south of Hunstanton.
12-01-09-658-scenicHeacham.jpg
In 2011 / 2012 I lived between Hunstanton and Kings Lynn.

I have been in the fortunate position for much of my retirement in that I could chose where to live.  Of course climate and scenery had nothing to do with decisions!

Jack