Cold last week of February and first week of March in central England

xmetman

Feb 26, 2018, 5:58:23 AM2/26/18
to Weather and Climate

Cold last week of February and first week of March in central England

According to results that I've generated, the mean CET for the period 21st February to the 7th of March was -2.2°C, that 's -6.6°C below the long-term average (1961-1990). That's a clear 1.4°C colder than 1786 the next coldest such like period. Even if we do have a couple of ice days in this coming week I can't see how the mean temperature can get close to those of 1947, although it might push the means for 2005 and 2006.

John Hall

Feb 26, 2018, 2:29:35 PM2/26/18
to Weather and Climate
There's an interesting tendency for these to occur in pairs:

1785 (5th) and 1786 (2nd) (and 1783 12th)
1888 (10th) and 1889 (11th)
1962 (10th) and 1963 (15th)
2005 (17th) and 2006 (19th) (and 2004 25th)

One might add 1955 (3rd) and 1956 which, though it doesn't seem to appear in the list, had a sub-zero February. It presumably turned milder towards the end of February or at the start of March.

xmetman

Feb 27, 2018, 12:36:27 PM2/27/18
to Weather and Climate
John

I see what you mean.

I've been furiously trying to fix the problems in my monthly CET page on Meteograph.

I'm almost there - it should be workable enough for you to at least view monthly data.

Bruce.

John Hall

Feb 27, 2018, 1:08:18 PM2/27/18
to Weather and Climate
That's an excellent graph. Anyone who doubts that GW is real should be shown the anomalies portion. But though the heading says "Monthly", unless I'm missing something I can only see annual figures.

xmetman

Feb 27, 2018, 1:13:10 PM2/27/18
to weathera...@googlegroups.com
Yes I did that to differentiate the monthly series from the daily series.
I need to increase the size of the font in the subtitle a bit to make it clearer.
Done.