A dry 6 months May to October

Len W

Nov 1, 2018, 6:15:41 AM11/1/18
to Weather and Climate
I have recorded 272.4 mm from May to October.
The 30 year average for this 6 months is 444 mm.
So just 61% of average.
SW Reservoir levels are 50%.

I put it down to a persistent wavy hemispheric flow favouring blocking in NW Europe.
Although it has shifted a bit atm.

Len
Wembury

Graham Easterling

Nov 1, 2018, 9:14:42 AM11/1/18
to Weather and Climate
Drift, the reservoir feeding Penzance, has never been so low since it's construction in 1960.

Not only have the old hedgerows, roads & buildings re-appeared, but it's been low for so long the mud has turned green and there are green fields where water should be.

These pictures are 6-7 weeks old, but it's just as low now, probably lower, despite the heavy rain 11th-13th October.

Graham
Penzance

Len

Nov 1, 2018, 3:57:54 PM11/1/18
to Weather and Climate
Fascinating photos Graham.

I suppose we in Devon are now supplying you in Cornwall with water.

Len
Wembury

Julian Mayes

Nov 1, 2018, 4:25:47 PM11/1/18
to Weather and Climate
Very interesting photos. Typical Daily Mail accuracy though in the text - twice the site is assumed to be Welsh.  Also, why does the media always seem to blame a lack of water on  a heatwave, rather than a lack of rain?  I know the former will push up water demand but it does read oddly. Maybe it sounds more dramatic.

Julian    Molesey    Surrey

Graham Easterling

Nov 1, 2018, 4:44:42 PM11/1/18
to Weather and Climate
Yes, apologies for using the Daily Mail, it just happened to have a good collection of photos. Being the Mail, I didn't read the text!

Graham
Penzance