Any chance of snow?

Len W

Feb 5, 2021, 10:24:20 AM2/5/21
to Weather and Climate
beast from the east .jpg.png

Will we have another Beast from the East as above which gave snow even on the south coast of Devon and Cornwall?
Need to have some frontal feature pushing up from the south into cold air and/or streamer type convection along the Channel. A northeasterly is no good for the latter.
Wind is going round from NE to SE for a while on Wednesday so this is the most likely day for snow on the coast.

It will interesting to watch but I am not keen on the wind chill. -7°C according to UKMO for Wembury.
My Camellia bushes are in full bloom. 🥺

Len

Graham Easterling

Feb 5, 2021, 11:56:04 AM2/5/21
to Weather and Climate
Not forecast to be anything like as cold this time. Tuesday's forecast (the coldest day) for Penzance, 2C min, 4C max.

Unlike most places in the SW, we had our heavy snow on 28th March with a stream of heavy showers crossing the tip of Cornwall from the ESE. The frontal snow on the 1st was nothing in comparison.

Sennen during the afternoon of 28th February, temperature around -2C.

20180228_130958.jpg

 In Penzance snow set in 10:30 and for the rest of the day it was sub zero. Spells of heavy snow until 15:00 were followed by snow showers. 10-15cm of snow in the garden by evening. It was hard to get an average depth, it varied so much. We very rarely get snow, but when we do it's normally heavy, that warm sea all around us giving so much instability. My back garden just as the blizzard set in, poor old daffs.

 Snow280218 (3).jpg

One more

20180228_130838.jpg

It's good to reminisce!

Graham
Penzance

Len W

Feb 5, 2021, 3:22:10 PM2/5/21
to Weather and Climate
Yes, nice to reminisce.
p1030544.jpg

Photo0679.jpgP1030539.JPG

Len
Will it happen again?
Wembury SW Devon

Graham Easterling

Feb 6, 2021, 10:22:42 AM2/6/21
to Weather and Climate
This is interesting, snow risk @ 09:00 Wednesday

2021-02-06 15_17_58-Capture.png

It's been there off & on for a few runs.

Remember - no organised snowball fights!

Graham
Penzance

Len

Feb 6, 2021, 6:22:02 PM2/6/21
to Weather and Climate
At 2300 UTC on Sat 6 Feb:
UKMO are going for light snow on Tuesday for Wembury.
BBC/Meteogroup are not going for Tuesday but for light snow here on Thursday.
Interesting indeed.

Len