Thunderstorms

Len

Jun 16, 2020, 8:53:48 AM6/16/20
to Weather and Climate
Missed Wembury but plenty to north and over Cornwall.

Nick Gardner

Jun 16, 2020, 11:20:43 AM6/16/20
to Weather and Climate
Mostly sunny and warm here along the south coast. All the action inland to our north.

Graham Easterling

Jun 16, 2020, 12:35:42 PM6/16/20
to Weather and Climate
Certainly plenty over Cornwall. However, in Penzance, the heavy rain was before I emerged from bed. A couple of brief bursts here since 09:00, but the storms locally seem to have affected the area from Truro to St Ives. Also some very impressive Cb to the south with downpours moving from the Helston area out into Mount's Bay. Penzance westwards along the south coast has done OK.

Current view from Mousehole

2020-06-16 17_29_13-Capture.png

With some sunshine here the temperature peaked at 19. something (well so far, I haven't checked recently - it may have hit 20C)

One of the many things that annoys me about forecasters is the stubborn use of cliches. Under these very unstable conditions it's often warmest on a sunny part of the coast, away from the downpours. However, the forecast was (I quote) around 16C on the coast, warmer inland, up to 20C. (DB used much the same phraseology last night). Mind you the MetO really let rip today & upped the forecast max for Penzance from 15C to 16C.

At 16:00 19C in Penzance, 14C at Cardinham, which I believe is inland. The air is inherently warm, so it all depends where the sun's out, and where it's raining.

Graham
Penzance