Carpentras 43.9°C at 12 UTC

xmetman

Jun 28, 2019, 10:03:22 AM6/28/19
to Weather and Climate

The 12 UTC temperature from Carpentras has surely set a new French extreme maximum temperature.

2019-06-28_145203.jpg

2019-06-28_150146.jpg

2019-06-27_101718 (1).jpg

Colin Youngs

Jun 28, 2019, 1:05:38 PM6/28/19
to Weather and Climate
"Carpentras 43.9°C at 12 UTC ... The 12 UTC temperature from Carpentras has surely set a new French extreme maximum temperature."

Actually, not quite :-)

Highest temperature recorded in France before today was 44.1°C on 12th August 2003 at Saint-Christol-lès-Alès and Conqueyrac (Gard).

However, Carpentras reached 44.3°C later this afternoon.  Villevieille (Gard) reported 45.1°C at 15.00 local time, and Gallargues-le-Montueux (Gard) 45.8°C subsequently.

Colin Youngs
Brussels

Julian Mayes

Jun 28, 2019, 1:11:53 PM6/28/19
to Weather and Climate
An astonishing margin to break an all-time record, thanks for the specifics, Colin.

I recall that two prominent climate change sceptics in the Conservative party live at least some of the time in France - Nigel Lawson and Peter Lilley, though I think PL lives in the north.  I hope they can stand the heat.

Julian
Molesey
Surrey.   - and here, the brisk E wind is easing down and it feels as if the heat from the south-west of Britain is getting closer.

Colin Youngs

Jun 28, 2019, 2:00:12 PM6/28/19
to Weather and Climate
"Gallargues-le-Montueux (Gard) 45.8°C"

Now corrected on Météo-France website to 45.9°C, at 16.20 local time.

List of other places that also beat the old record today on the Météo-France website

Colin Youngs
Brussels