Polar low in North Sea

Len W

Apr 5, 2021, 9:51:27 AM4/5/21
to Weather and Climate
The vigorous cold northerly over a relatively warm N. Sea is enough to destabilise the flow and give this meso-scale feature shown in the satellite pic.
polar low sat n sea.jpg

polar low n sea.jpg
courtesy of UKMO and Sat24.

Len
Wembury, 10°C, warmest place in UK atm

Graham Easterling

Apr 5, 2021, 11:08:26 AM4/5/21
to Weather and Climate
There's also a very big swell going down the North Sea,
2021-04-05 15_15_07-Capture.png

Very small tides so no issues,

10.6C in Penzance at 11:00.  Above 10C from around 09:30 until noon. Just checked (15:40) its 9.3C & falling now. Patchy cloud & sunny spells.. Spots exposed to the wind were stuck around 9C all morning, Land's End peaked at 9.3C. Prom 15:45 looking far from bleak.

2021-04-05 15_43_12-Capture.png

All rather different to the words on the MetO SW forecast this morning. "Wintry showers with snow over the west spreading east through the day." Also said it would feel 'bitter'. I'm not sure what words get used if it is bitter. Ignoring the words the computer generated bit was OK, showing a max of 9C & basically dry conditions for west Cornwall.

As northerly blasts go, this is nothing much so far, out of the wind I was able to sit outside for a coffee on the coast path between Marazion & Perranuthnoe this morning. The nasty weather's all a bit further east than the models were suggesting a week or so ago, when Easter looked a bit bleak. It's been a good 4 days overall. The last 3 days seeing 28 hours of sunshine, even up over the moors at Bosullow, set be >5 hours today.

On the downside no surf worth the name until the mid Atlantic high goes away, and little sign of that happening. Currently 4' of 6sec wind chop on the north coast, couldn't get much worse. It's many months since there was so little Atlantic swell forecast for so long. https://magicseaweed.com/Sennen-Surf-Report/4/

I know it'll probably be colder tomorrow.

Looking basically dry for some time yet, getting quite notable.

Graham
Penzance

Len W

Apr 5, 2021, 11:49:24 AM4/5/21
to Weather and Climate
Notably dry indeed. Only had 4 mm of rain here in Wembury over the last 3 weeks.
However, not as notable as last year when we had a dry spell basically from mid-March through to May,
proper rain not arriving till June.

Len