Penzance - Another Icy start

Graham Easterling

Dec 10, 2022, 10:31:55 AM12/10/22
to Weather and Climate
A minimum of 1.8C overnight with showers containing a wintry mix, mainly soft hail.

The car this morning (the rabbit's taken over the garage whilst it's sub-zero outside!)

IMG_20221210_082131.jpg

Lot's of heavy showers over the sea, and some fairly impressive Cb. The view from the Jubilee Pool, Penzance, around 14:30.

IMG_20221210_141733.jpg

Graham
Penzance

Graham Easterling

Dec 10, 2022, 11:25:20 AM12/10/22
to Weather and Climate
Minimum should read -1.8C - it was very a icy start. About the only road the much maligned council has salted seems to be the prom, which is naturally well salted for some reason.

Graham
Penzance

jack.h...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2022, 12:26:11 PM12/10/22
to Weather and Climate
That's a novelty - Penzance colder than up here where last night's minimum was just in the plus.

However as I write this at 1720, it is already showing minus 0.5C.
I am about 8 kilometres from the coast in a valley with a significant downslope just over the fence so am in a local cold spot.

Jack

Len W

Dec 10, 2022, 2:34:05 PM12/10/22
to Weather and Climate
Max 4.4°C ,Min -2.6°C here.
No snow, no sleet, but just soft hail in showers.
1.2 mm in gauge.

Shiver me timbers.

Len
Wembury

Graham Easterling

Dec 10, 2022, 3:08:36 PM12/10/22
to Weather and Climate
Although west Cornwall has the mildest winter climate in mainland UK, when it does snow it tends to be heavy, also it's not quite as rare as the media likes to suggest. The last proper snow was 9/2/21. Just outside Penzance on the St Just road.
Sn1.jpg

28/02/18 Just behind Sennen beach, around 2 miles from Lands End.
20180228_130838.jpg

It just doesn't last, well except in 1963! On one day that year I had to walk most of the 9 miles from school in Penzance to Sennen, luckily not alone. Snow actually falls on less days in coastal south Devon, which avoids showers streaming down the channel, or in a Pembroke dangler, which accounts for most of our snow. The snow in the above photo only affected west Cornwall, a line of persistent showers blowing off the sea in an ESE wind. The front, when the snow was forecast, on 1st March didn't amount to much.

Graham
Penzance