This looks more like it

Len W

Mar 11, 2018, 6:54:08 PM3/11/18
to Weather and Climate
I hope this comes to pass. One can dream.

Len
Wembury
Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Trevor Harley

Mar 12, 2018, 5:20:50 AM3/12/18
to Weather and Climate
I was just thinking we're getting a mini-beast from the east next weekend.

John Hall

Mar 12, 2018, 12:49:35 PM3/12/18
to Weather and Climate
On Monday, 12 March 2018 09:20:50 UTC, Trevor Harley wrote:
I was just thinking we're getting a mini-beast from the east next weekend.

It's looking more and more like it. Len's chart was for the 27th, so a lot further away.

Trevor Harley

Mar 12, 2018, 2:30:54 PM3/12/18
to Weather and Climate
Yes, although as far as I can tell a mini-beast is more likely for the south than Scotland. I could take one last fling of winter if we are then launched into a glorious extended summer from 26 March to the start of November.

John Hall

Mar 12, 2018, 4:11:41 PM3/12/18
to Weather and Climate
On Monday, 12 March 2018 18:30:54 UTC, Trevor Harley wrote:
Yes, although as far as I can tell a mini-beast is more likely for the south than Scotland. I could take one last fling of winter if we are then launched into a glorious extended summer from 26 March to the start of November.

That's asking rather a lot, though I still fondly remember the extended summer of 1959, when I was ten going on eleven, which lasted from early May till almost mid-October.

Jack Harrison

Mar 15, 2018, 5:23:10 PM3/15/18
to Weather and Climate

I hope this comes to pass. One can dream.

Well it has and is thoroughly miserable.  No fun at all for my wife's trekking (riding) planned for Friday.

Jack

John Hall

Mar 16, 2018, 1:24:40 PM3/16/18
to Weather and Climate
But if you look at the chart that Len posted, you'll see that what he was hoping for for the 27th is very different from what we are having today (Friday). (Though here in Surrey today has actually turned out to be unexpectedly pleasant.)

Jack Harrison

Mar 17, 2018, 5:14:24 AM3/17/18
to Weather and Climate

Hands up – I hadn’t looked at the chart and merely assumed it was the usual love of cold weather.  Apologies.

Trevor.  You forthcoming book.  You might already have included the concept of “good weather” but what is good for some can be exactly the opposite for others.  I give a few examples based on own experience.

Prolonged cold and snow is considered good for winter sports’ enthusiasts.  Not so for the elderly who often hate wind and cold and of course are more at risk of falls,

Unstable spring north-westerlies are loved by glider pilots as often produce very strong thermals but for most people are not enjoyed.  Conversely, “lazy hazy crazy days of summer” might be loved by sun worshippers and ice cream vendors but are normal useless for gliding due to the low inversion.

East coast sea mist (Haar, Fret, etc) can be positively welcomed by birdwatchers as disorientated – and often rare birds – become lost and can appear in numbers at places like Spurn Head.

Heavy rain at seaside resorts is usually not what holidaymakers want.  But such weather might be welcomed by the cafes and amusement arcades (and pubs!) which get increased trade.

And so on.

Jack