Asperitas

xmetman

Aug 27, 2016, 7:00:31 AM8/27/16
to weathera...@googlegroups.com

You know when you look out the window and see a great cloud scape and then you can't remember where you've put the camera, well that's what happened to me this morning. It looked half like the undulatus asperatus cloud when I first saw it, but in the time I found the camera the best of it was over. Of course it may have been going on for a while before I noticed it, but I have the feeling that it's gone almost as soon as it arrives. Apparently the proper latin for it is now asperitas according to Wikipedia. I am now on asperitas watch.

Nick Gardner

Aug 27, 2016, 2:06:13 PM8/27/16
to Weather and Climate
Bruce, is that the same as the cloud I took in this photo on the 6th May 2007?
asperitasMay6th2007.jpg

xmetman

Aug 27, 2016, 2:13:19 PM8/27/16
to Weather and Climate
Yes that's a great example of it. It always reminds me of the swirling cloud in the "Raiders of the lost Ark" when the Nazi's are taking the lid of the Ark of the covenant!

Ian Ager

Aug 28, 2016, 6:23:39 AM8/28/16
to Weather and Climate
Firstly hello to all in the group.
I may know some of you from my days posting on UKSW a few years ago

Was wondering if the following clouds, over Raunds yesterday

10z T19.4/Td 16.3. Pleasant after recent warmth and humidity.

Ian Raunds E Northants
20160827_154039_Richtone(HDR).jpg
20160827_154103_Richtone(HDR).jpg

xmetman

Aug 28, 2016, 7:41:36 AM8/28/16
to Weather and Climate
Ian

These are great images, and are similar to the clouds that I saw yesterday in mid-Devon, but yours look more extensive.

We didn't see a spot of rain here, but you must have seen quite a bit yesterday afternoon, perhaps the asperitas clouds if that's what they are were a precursor!

Bruce.

xmetman

Aug 28, 2016, 7:52:39 AM8/28/16
to Weather and Climate
I notice that the BBC weather twitter feed have picked up on the story.

Ian Ager

Aug 28, 2016, 12:38:06 PM8/28/16
to Weather and Climate
Hi Bruce,and thanks. I do hope to post on a regular basis.
I do find your data and charts fascinating. Thanks for posting them.
The Asperitas type clouds were widespread in E Northants yesterday.
16z here 18.8/17.2 recent shower gave 2.3mm rain.

Ian Raunds Northants

Ian Ager

Aug 28, 2016, 12:43:09 PM8/28/16
to Weather and Climate
Forgot to mention in Raunds we just caught the edge of the MCS.
Just 6.8mm rain 09z-09z. Local flash flooding 18km to my N in Corby.

Ian Raunds Northants

Trevor Harley

Aug 28, 2016, 1:01:44 PM8/28/16
to Weather and Climate
Welcome! Raunds - one of the sites of my planned meteorological tour, with the highest readings of the year in 1919 and 1920, including 32.2C on 11 September 1919, as well as a 36.7C in August 1911. I think of it as being an oasis in a parched desert.

Ian Ager

Aug 28, 2016, 3:58:21 PM8/28/16
to Weather and Climate
Hi and thanks Trevor. Quite a few records from the old RMET site in Raunds.
Sadly closed in 1992 as it was not deemed suitable for long term records.
Site was reasonably well exposed. But prone to severe frosts and high temperatures particularly in late summer. Raunds is in a shallow hollow on the South side of the Nene Valley.
Managed to get a lot of obs data from the archives.
You'll be more than welcome in the oasis. A few good watering holes.

Ian Raunds E Northants